Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of October, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Hyde Park:
- Crews from EJ Electric will continue the process of removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- In some areas, workers may have to access private property in which case the project will coordinate in advance with individual business/property owners.
- Temporary poles are being removed on 8/31-9/01 during overnight hours.
- The G14 Substation is in full service.
NEW HYDE PARK STATION ENHANCEMENTS
- The New Hyde Park Station house is complete and open to the public.
- Ongoing punch list items will continue throughout the month including permanent handrail installation, curb, and sidewalk work.
- During the month of October, crews will install under platform barriers and light fixtures on the north side of the station
- Snowmelt will be installed under the platform barriers on the north side of the station
- Overnight work will take place on 10/11-10/13 to support gangway removal.
- Finish fence will be installed at the station.
TRIPLE TRACK OUTAGES
- The LIRR Expansion Project is nearing completion. In the next few months, weekend rail service will be modified to allow the contractor, 3TC, and LIRR to finish work on the track, signals, switches, and stations. LIRR also will be performing non-project work during the weekend triple-track outages (TTOs) and double-track outages (DTOs). Completing this intensive work in conjunction with the project will reduce the overall time and level of disruption required for these essential transportation upgrades. Due to ongoing construction, there may be a possibility of additional outages.
- 10/1 – Crews to run tests along the LIRR Main Line
- 10/29 – Project work will take place around the clock from Floral Park to Wantagh Parkway
- To best plan your trip, use the LIRR TrainTime app. You can also download the special timetable for your branch.
- For more information, please see: Weekend Shutdowns between Jamaica and Hicksville (mta.info).
ADDITIONAL LIRR WORK ALONG THE RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.