Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of October, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Mineola:
- Crews from E-J Electric will continue the process of removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- In some areas, workers may have to access private property in which case the project will coordinate in advance with individual business/property owners.
MINEOLA STATION ENHANCEMENTS
- The Mineola Overpass is open to the public with ongoing punch list work continuing.
- Intermittent closures may be necessary to support surrounding construction.
- Construction for the station kiss and ride and east pedestrian overpass is ongoing.
- The Mineola Station House interior and exterior renovations are in progress.
- For information on how to access and navigate the station, please click here.
- Throughout the month, crews will continue installation of brick, wall panels, sidewalks and curbs, pavers, platform signs, bollard installation and snowmelt.
- Ongoing construction will take place on the overpass building.
- E-J Electric is continuing the installation of conduit, platform columns, signage bands, and light fixtures, wire pulling on both the north and south sides of the tracks.
- Work progresses on the G-16 substation as we continue the process of energizing the facility to prepare the substation for service.
- Wall Construction on the south side of the station will continue in September.
- Permanent fencing will be installed from Roslyn Road to Glen Cove Road.
- Crews will continue permanent residential fence installation from Stop and Shop to Macys.
- Crews will be up and down the ROW evaluating and backfilling where appropriate to bring this project element to substantial completion.
- Access to private property may be needed and business/homeowners will be contacted individually if so.
THIRD TRACK INSTALLATION
- Third track commissioning complete.
- Crews will install new track cable pulls and switch heaters from Roslyn Road to Glen Cove Road.
TRIPLE TRACK OUTAGES
- The LIRR Expansion Project is nearing completion. In the next few months, weekend rail service will be modified to allow the contractor, 3TC, and LIRR to finish work on the track, signals, switches, and stations. LIRR also will be performing non-project work during the weekend triple-track outages (TTOs) and double-track outages (DTOs). Completing this intensive work in conjunction with the project will reduce the overall time and level of disruption required for these essential transportation upgrades. Due to ongoing construction, there may be a possibility of additional outages.
- 10/1 – Crews to run tests along the LIRR Main Line
- 10/29 – Project work will take place around the clock from Floral Park to Wantagh Parkway
- To best plan your trip, use the LIRR TrainTime app. You can also download the special timetable for your branch.
- For more information, please see: Weekend Shutdowns between Jamaica and Hicksville (mta.info).
ADDITIONAL LIRR WORK ALONG THE RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.