Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of September, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Westbury:
- Crews from E-J Electric will continue the process of removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- In some areas, workers may have to access private property in which case the project will coordinate in advance with individual business/property owners.
WESTBURY STATION ENHANCEMENTS
- Both pedestrian overpasses, elevator jacks, and pistons are now installed. Pocket park work construction continues with anticipated completion by Q3 of 2022.
- Additional elevator, stairs, and guardrail work will continue throughout the month in anticipation of opening to the public.
- In September, crews will work to waterproof the Westbury overpasses.
- The north side ticket machine has been relocated from the ground level to platform level just west of the station building.
- Interior and exterior station house construction is in progress.
- Crews continue installation of the station house roof.
- Pocket park work will continue including brick installation, tile installation, AC installation and pavers.
- The pedestrian underpass will be closed for approximately 5 weeks in September.
- For information on the detour and how to navigate the station, please click here.
- E-J Electric will work to install conduit, signage bands, and light fixtures during the month of September.
- For information on how to access and navigate the station, please click here.
- Fence installation and reparation of previously installed fence will continue from School Street to Urban Avenue and is expected to continue through mid-September.
THIRD TRACK INSTALLATION
- Crews continue to install contact rail and siding track from School Street to Urban Avenue.
- E-J will install new track cable pulls and switch heater installation/track terminations – School Street to Urban Avenue.
DOUBLE TRACK OUTAGES
- The LIRR Expansion Project is nearing completion. In the next few months, weekend rail service will be modified to allow the contractor, 3TC, and LIRR to finish work on the track, signals, switches, and stations. LIRR also will be performing non-project work during the weekend double-track outages (DTOs). Completing this intensive work in conjunction with the project will reduce the overall time and level of disruption required for these essential transportation upgrades.
- 9/10 – Project work will take place east of Roslyn Road to the east end of Meadowbrook Parkway
- 9/17 – Project work will take place from Denton Avenue to the east end of Mineola Station
- 9/24 – Project work will take place east of Mineola switch to Meadowbrook Pkwy
- To best plan your trip, use the LIRR TrainTime app. You can also download the special timetable for your branch.
- For more information, please see: Weekend Shutdowns between Jamaica and Hicksville (mta.info).
ADDITIONAL LIRR WORK ALONG THE RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.