Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of September, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Hyde Park:
- Crews from EJ Electric will continue the process of removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- In some areas, workers may have to access private property in which case the project will coordinate in advance with individual business/property owners.
- Temporary poles are being removed on 8/31-9/01 during overnight hours.
- Crews from 3TC and EJ Electric will continue to perform finishing work throughout the month of September.
- This work may require intermittent road closures.
- In September, night work will take place for asphalt work inside the substation.
- The G14 Substation is one of several substations along the Main Line being replaced or modified with new modern equipment.
NEW HYDE PARK STATION ENHANCEMENTS
- The New Hyde Park Station house is complete and open to the public.
- Ongoing punch list items will continue throughout the month including permanent handrail installation, curb, and sidewalk work.
- During the month of September, crews will install platform barriers on the north side of the station
- Snowmelt will be installed under the platform barriers on the north and south side of the station
- Overnight work will take place from Covert Avenue to New Hyde Park Station to support electrical work.
- In September, milling and paving will commence at 2nd Avenue and 3rd
DOUBLE TRACK OUTAGES
- The LIRR Expansion Project is nearing completion. In the next few months, weekend rail service will be modified to allow the contractor, 3TC, and LIRR to finish work on the track, signals, switches, and stations. LIRR also will be performing non-project work during the weekend double-track outages (DTOs). Completing this intensive work in conjunction with the project will reduce the overall time and level of disruption required for these essential transportation upgrades.
- 9/10 – Project work will take place east of Roslyn Road to the east end of Meadowbrook Parkway
- 9/17 – Project work will take place from Denton Avenue to the east end of Mineola Station
- 9/24 – Project work will take place east of Mineola switch to Meadowbrook Pkwy
- To best plan your trip, use the LIRR TrainTime app. You can also download the special timetable for your branch.
- For more information, please see: Weekend Shutdowns between Jamaica and Hicksville (mta.info).
ADDITIONAL LIRR WORK ALONG THE RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.