The LIRR Expansion Project is nearing completion. In the next few months, weekend rail service will be modified to allow the contractor, 3TC, and LIRR to finish work on the track, signals, switches, and stations. LIRR also will be performing non-project work during the weekend double-track outages (DTOs). Completing this intensive work in conjunction with the project will reduce the overall time and level of disruption required for these essential transportation upgrades.
Double-Track-Outages will occur on the weekends of:
MTA Resources for Commuters:
- For additional information on service during DTOs, please see: Weekend Shutdowns between Jamaica and Hicksville (mta.info).
- To best plan your trip, use the LIRR TrainTime app.
- You can also download the special timetable for your branch.
- For several weeks in August and September, there will be major changes to eastbound service between New Hyde Park and Westbury as crews finish work to open the new third track (https://new.mta.info/mainline).
- Intensive, around-the-clock project work will occur as crews continue preparing for the commissioning of the third track:
- From Saturday 8/6 to Sunday 8/14 at New Hyde Park and Merillon Avenue stations.
- From Friday 8/26 to Monday 8/29 at Mineola station.
Additional LIRR Work Along the Railroad Right-of-Way (ROW)
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month, specifically on the Hempstead Branch.
- This work is happening outside the project. To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way will be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information on LIRR forces working along the ROW, visit the postin the Community News section on com.