Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of August, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Westbury:
- Crews from E-J Electric will continue the process of removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- In some areas, workers may have to access private property in which case the project will coordinate in advance with individual business/property owners.
WESTBURY STATION ENHANCEMENTS
- Both pedestrian overpasses, elevator jacks, and pistons are now installed. Pocket work construction continues with anticipated completion by Q3 of 2022.
- In August, crews will work to waterproof the Westbury overpasses.
- The north side ticket machine has been relocated from the ground level to platform level just west of the station building.
- Installation of canopy roof, guardrails, stairs and thin bricks on platform columns will continue through August.
- Installation of the station house roof will continue in August.
- The pedestrian underpass is reopened. Commuters are encouraged to use it to access the north and south platforms.
- Due to ongoing construction in the surrounding area, temporary, intermittent underpass closures may be required.
- E-J Electric will work to install conduit, signage bands, and light fixtures during the month of August.
- For information on how to access and navigate the station, please click here.
- Retaining wall work is complete.
- Fence installation and reparation of previously installed fence will continue from School Street to Urban Ave is expected to continue throughout August.
- With planting season underway, the project has remained committed to landscaping and other design elements – such as the planting of trees, shrubs and other greenery – that will enhance a completed project and contribute to the beautification of the corridor.
THIRD TRACK INSTALLATION
- Throughout August, crews continue to install track bed, ties & rail from Westbury Station to Urban Avenue.
DOUBLE TRACK OUTAGES
- The LIRR Expansion Project is nearing completion. In the next few months, weekend rail service will be modified to allow the contractor, 3TC, and LIRR to finish work on the track, signals, switches, and stations. LIRR also will be performing non-project work during the weekend double-track outages (DTOs). Completing this intensive work in conjunction with the project will reduce the overall time and level of disruption required for these essential transportation upgrades.
- For Commuters:
- July 30-31:
- Aug 6 – 8
- Aug 13 – 14
- August 27- 28
- To best plan your trip, use the LIRR TrainTime app. You can also download the special timetable for your branch.
- For more information, please see: Weekend Shutdowns between Jamaica and Hicksville (mta.info).
- For Residents:
- Intensive project work will occur:
- Intensive project work will occur between Herricks Road in Mineola and Glen Cove road in Carle Place from 9PM on Friday to 5am on Monday while crews are installing the Nassau 2 switches just east of Mineola Station
- Project work will also be occurring up the Oyster Bay Branch to Jericho Tpke.
- From Saturday 8/6 to Sunday 8/14 at New Hyde Park and Merillon Avenue stations as crews continue preparing for the third track
- From Friday 8/26 to Monday 8/29 at Mineola station as crews continue preparing for the third track
- Intensive project work will occur:
ADDITIONAL LIRR WORK ALONG THE RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.