Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of August, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Hyde Park:
- Crews from EJ Electric will continue the process of removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- In some areas, workers may have to access private property in which case the project will coordinate in advance with individual business/property owners.
G14 SUBSTATION REPLACEMENT
- Crews from 3TC and EJ Electric will continue to perform finishing work throughout the month of August.
- This work may require intermittent road closures.
- In August, night work will take place for asphalt work inside the substation.
- Crews will Install Platform Barriers at the substation.
- The G14 Substation is one of several substations along the Main Line being replaced or modified with new modern equipment.
NEW HYDE PARK STATION ENHANCEMENTS
- The New Hyde Park Station house is complete and open to the public.
- Ongoing punch list items will continue throughout the month including permanent handrail installation, curb and sidewalk work.
- During the month of August, Crews will install platform barriers on the North side of the station.
- The ticket machine shelter is expected to be installed in mid-July, and a ticket vending machine will be installed on the North side of the ROW.
- From August 1st – 5th between 5 am and 11 pm, you must be in the first six cars to exit eastbound trains at New Hyde Park Station.
- Some trains will run on adjusted schedules
- From Aug 8th – 12th between 5 am and 3:30 pm, there will be no eastbound trains at New Hyde Park Station.
- Bus service will be available to Mineola
- To plan your trip, please visit the MTA Planned Services page (mta.info)
- With planting season underway, the project has remained committed to landscaping and other design elements – such as the planting of trees, shrubs, and other greenery – that will enhance a completed project element and contribute to the beautification of the corridor.
THIRD TRACK CONSTRUCTION
- Starting this weekend (7/30) there will be work around the clock between Merillon Avenue and New Hyde Park.
- Weekend work will take place to support track surfacing near the station on the south side of the ROW.
- New hi-rail track will be installed from New Hyde Park Station to Merillon Avenue Station.
DOUBLE TRACK OUTAGES
- The LIRR Expansion Project is nearing completion. In the next few months, weekend rail service will be modified to allow the contractor, 3TC, and LIRR to finish work on the track, signals, switches, and stations. LIRR also will be performing non-project work during the weekend double-track outages (DTOs). Completing this intensive work in conjunction with the project will reduce the overall time and level of disruption required for these essential transportation upgrades.
- For Commuters:
- To best plan your trip, use the LIRR TrainTime app. You can also download the special timetable for your branch.
- For more information, please see: Weekend Shutdowns between Jamaica and Hicksville (mta.info).
- For Residents:
- Intensive project work will occur:
- Intensive project work will occur between Herricks Road in Mineola and Glen Cove road in Carle Place from 9PM on Friday to 5am on Monday while crews are installing the Nassau 2 switches just east of Mineola Station
- Project work will also be occurring up the Oyster Bay Branch to Jericho Tpke.
- From Saturday 8/6 to Sunday 8/14 at New Hyde Park and Merillon Avenue stations as crews continue preparing for the third track
- From Friday 8/26 to Monday 8/29 at Mineola station as crews continue preparing for the third track
- Intensive project work will occur:
ADDITIONAL LIRR WORK ALONG THE RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.