Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of August, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Mineola:
- Crews from E-J Electric will continue the process of removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- In some areas, workers may have to access private property in which case the project will coordinate in advance with individual business/property owners.
- There will be overnight work the last week in August while crews install utilities at the Willis Ave LIRR Crew Facility.
MINEOLA STATION ENHANCEMENTS
- The Mineola Overpass is open to the public with ongoing punch list work continuing.
- Intermittent closures may be necessary to support surrounding construction.
- The Mineola Station House interior and exterior renovations are in progress.
- For information on how to access and navigate the station, please click here.
- Throughout August, crews are continuing to work on the support buildings on the north and south sides of the tracks. Work includes roofing, paving, sidewalk and curb installation.
- E-J Electric is continuing the installation of conduit, platform columns, signage bands, and light fixtures on both the north and south sides of the tracks.
- On the weekend of August 26th, around the clock station work will take place.
- From July 29th at approximately 8:00p.m. through Sunday, July 31st at approximately 11:30p.m., a road closure will be in effect on Front Street. Please click here for more information.
- Work progresses on the G-16 substation as we continue the process of energizing the facility to prepare the substation for service.
- Crews will be up and down the ROW evaluating and backfilling where appropriate to bring this project element to substantial completion.
- Access to private property may be needed and business/homeowners will be contacted individually if so.
THIRD TRACK INSTALLATION
- Crews will begin track surfacing on Glen Cove Road.
- During the month of August, new track cable pulls, switch heater installation, and track termination will be placed from Roslyn Road to Glen Cove Road.
- With planting season underway, the project has remained committed to landscaping and other design elements – such as the planting of trees, shrubs and other greenery – that will enhance a completed project element and contribute to the beautification of the corridor.
DOUBLE TRACK OUTAGES
- The LIRR Expansion Project is nearing completion. In the next few months, weekend rail service will be modified to allow the contractor, 3TC, and LIRR to finish work on the track, signals, switches, and stations. LIRR also will be performing non-project work during the weekend double-track outages (DTOs). Completing this intensive work in conjunction with the project will reduce the overall time and level of disruption required for these essential transportation upgrades.
- For Commuters:
- To best plan your trip, use the LIRR TrainTime app. You can also download the special timetable for your branch.
- For more information, please see: Weekend Shutdowns between Jamaica and Hicksville (mta.info).
- For Residents:
- Intensive project work will occur:
- Intensive project work will occur between Herricks Road in Mineola and Glen Cove road in Carle Place from 9PM on Friday to 5am on Monday while crews are installing the Nassau 2 switches just east of Mineola Station
- Project work will also be occurring up the Oyster Bay Branch to Jericho Tpke.
- From Saturday 8/6 to Sunday 8/14 at New Hyde Park and Merillon Avenue stations as crews continue preparing for the third track
- From Friday 8/26 to Monday 8/29 at Mineola station as crews continue preparing for the third track
- Intensive project work will occur:
ADDITIONAL LIRR WORK ALONG THE RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.