Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of August, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Garden City and Garden City Park:
- Crews from EJ Electric will continue the process of removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- In some areas, workers may have to access private property in which case the project will coordinate in advance with individual business/property owners
TANNERS POND RD / DENTON AVE BRIDGE REPLACEMENT PROJECT
- Salvaged granite installation on the north and south side of the bridge is complete.
- Ongoing sidewalk installation and curb work will continue during the month of August.
- Crews are repaving the roadway and working to reopen it in the month of August.
- As a result, local road closures and detours are in place for the time being.
- Tanners Pond Road/Denton Avenue is closed from Main Avenue to Railroad Avenue. Traffic is being redirected to alternate routes, and work zone traffic control (WZTC) signage has been posted throughout the closure.
- A vehicular detour map for the area can be found
- Crews are currently installing security fencing along the top of the newly installed wall from Nassau Boulevard to approximately Cornelia Avenue.
MERILLON AVENUE STATION ENHANCEMENT
- Throughout August, crews will be installing the snow melt system under the south side platform.
- There will be ongoing punch list work, including the installation of misc. handrails, infill panels, and platform barriers, at the station throughout the month.
- From August 1st – 5th between 5 am and 11 pm, you must be in the first six cars to exit eastbound trains at Merillon Avenue Station.
- Some trains will run on adjusted schedules
- From Aug 8th – 12th between 5 am and 3:30 pm, there will be no eastbound trains at Merillon Avenue Station.
- Bus service will be available to Mineola
- To plan your trip, please visit the MTA Planned Services page (mta.info)
- During the first week of August, J-Track will place ballast and weld rail on the south side of ROW.
- Starting this weekend (7/30) there will be work around the clock between Merillon Avenue and New Hyde Park.
- Weekend work will take place to support track surfacing from New Hyde Park Station to Merillon Avenue Station.
- During the first two weeks of August, overnight track work will take place between Merillon Avenue and New Hyde Park Stations.
- With planting season underway, the project has remained committed to landscaping and other design elements – such as the planting of trees, shrubs and other greenery – that will enhance a completed project and contribute to the beautification of the corridor.
- Landscaping has begun and will continue throughout August.
DOUBLE TRACK OUTAGES
- The LIRR Expansion Project is nearing completion. In the next few months, weekend rail service will be modified to allow the contractor, 3TC, and LIRR to finish work on the track, signals, switches, and stations. LIRR also will be performing non-project work during the weekend double-track outages (DTOs). Completing this intensive work in conjunction with the project will reduce the overall time and level of disruption required for these essential transportation upgrades.
- For Commuters:
- July 30-31:
- Aug 6 – 8
- Aug 13 – 14
- August 27- 28
- To best plan your trip, use the LIRR TrainTime app. You can also download the special timetable for your branch.
- For more information, please see: Weekend Shutdowns between Jamaica and Hicksville (mta.info).
- For Residents:
- Intensive project work will occur:
- Intensive project work will occur between Herricks Road in Mineola and Glen Cove road in Carle Place from 9PM on Friday to 5am on Monday while crews are installing the Nassau 2 switches just east of Mineola Station
- Project work will also be occurring up the Oyster Bay Branch to Jericho Tpke.
- From Saturday 8/6 to Sunday 8/14 at New Hyde Park and Merillon Avenue stations as crews continue preparing for the third track
- From Friday 8/26 to Monday 8/29 at Mineola station as crews continue preparing for the third track
- Intensive project work will occur:
ADDITIONAL LIRR WORK ALONG THE RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.