Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of August, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Carle Place:
- Crews from EJ Electric will continue the process of removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- Workers may need access to private property in some areas, in which case the project will communicate with specific business/property owners ahead of time.
- Throughout the month, punch list work will continue from the Meadowbrook Parkway to Cherry Lane.
- Support of excavation (SOE) work west of Post Avenue will continue through August.
- A dedicated landscaping area has been constructed along the wall on Atlantic Avenue and continued maintenance and landscaping of previously installed plantings is ongoing, as well as additional plantings in areas previously inaccessible.
- Throughout August, crews will begin wall installation from Carle Road to Madison Avenue.
- In August, 3TC and E-J Electric will continue to work on the necessary electrical components, which feed the substation. Once complete, 3TC will start the regreening process.
- The G17 Substation is one of several substations along the Main Line being replaced or modified with new modern equipment.
THIRD TRACK CONSTRUCTION
- In August, crews will install track bed from the Meadowbrook Parkway to Cherry Lane and between Carle Place and Westbury Station.
- Throughout August, crews will begin track bed installation from Carle Road to Madison Avenue.
CARLE PLACE STATION ENHANCEMENT
- Crews will continue performing finish work in and around the Carle Place Station.
DOUBLE TRACK OUTAGES
- The LIRR Expansion Project is nearing completion. In the next few months, weekend rail service will be modified to allow the contractor, 3TC, and LIRR to finish work on the track, signals, switches, and stations. LIRR also will be performing non-project work during the weekend double-track outages (DTOs). Completing this intensive work in conjunction with the project will reduce the overall time and level of disruption required for these essential transportation upgrades.
- For Commuters:
- July 30-31:
- Aug 6 – 8
- Aug 13 – 14
- August 27- 28
- To best plan your trip, use the LIRR TrainTime app. You can also download the special timetable for your branch.
- For more information, please see: Weekend Shutdowns between Jamaica and Hicksville (mta.info).
- For Residents:
- Intensive project work will occur:
- Intensive project work will occur between Herricks Road in Mineola and Glen Cove road in Carle Place from 9PM on Friday to 5am on Monday while crews are installing the Nassau 2 switches just east of Mineola Station
- Project work will also be occurring up the Oyster Bay Branch to Jericho Tpke.
- From Saturday 8/6 to Sunday 8/14 at New Hyde Park and Merillon Avenue stations as crews continue preparing for the third track
- From Friday 8/26 to Monday 8/29 at Mineola station as crews continue preparing for the third track
- Intensive project work will occur:
ADDITIONAL LIRR WORK ALONG THE RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.