Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of July, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Hyde Park:
- Crews from EJ Electric will continue the process of removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- In some areas, workers may have to access private property in which case the project will coordinate in advance with individual business/property owners.
G14 SUBSTATION REPLACEMENT
- Crews from 3TC and EJ Electric will continue to perform finishing work throughout the month of June.
- This work may require intermittent road closures.
- Following G14 burn in, 3TC will install permanent fencing, paving, and landscaping surrounding the structure.
- The G14 Substation is one of several substations along the Main Line being replaced or modified with new modern equipment.
NEW HYDE PARK STATION ENHANCEMENTS
- The New Hyde Park Station house is complete and open to the public.
- Permanent handrail installation will be scheduled this month.
- The south 12 underpass mirrors are installed.
- Ongoing punch list items, including platform and stair guardrail installation, S11th and S12th stairs/ramp work, and more will continue throughout July.
- The ticket machine shelter is expected to be installed in mid-July, and a ticket vending machine will be installed on the North side of the ROW.
- Throughout July, 3TC is finishing its work. Light fixtures, pavers, bollards, final on-street/platform signage, curbs, sidewalks, and other items that surround the station are being installed.
- 2nd and 3rd avenue paving is expected to continue throughout July.
- With planting season underway, the project has remained committed to landscaping and other design elements – such as the planting of trees, shrubs, and other greenery – that will enhance a completed project element and contribute to the beautification of the corridor.
THIRD TRACK CONSTRUCTION
- Crews from J-Track completed installation of the 3rd Track ties & rails from South 11th St to Denton Ave.
DOUBLE TRACK OUTAGES
- July 9-10: LIRR is using a non-project related DTO to perform Track Work at Mineola Station using a track-laying machine (TLM).
- Hi-rails will be getting on and off on South 11thand Elmwood St to support Mineola work.
- July 16-17: Intensive piggyback work will occur while crews finish the restoration of the Atlantic Avenue wall on the north side of the tracks between the Meadowbrook Parkway and Cherry Lane Bridge.
- July 23-24: Intensive work will occur between Bellerose Station and Covert Avenue on the Hempstead Branch in Floral Park from 9 p.m. on Friday to 5 a.m. on Monday
- Weekend work will follow on the Mainline from Floral Park Station to NHP Station.
- July 30-31:
- Intensive project work will occur between Herricks Road in Mineola and Glen Cove road in Carle Place from 9PM on Friday to 5am on Monday while crews are installing the Nassau 2 switches just east of Mineola Station
- Project work will also be occurring up the Oyster Bay Branch to Jericho Tpke.
- Please visit the MTA Planned Service Page (https://new.mta.info/) to plan your trip.
ADDITIONAL LIRR WORK ALONG THE RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.