Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of July, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Cassel:
- Wall construction in New Cassel is now complete.
- Crews from E-J Electric will continue the process of removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- In some areas, workers may have to access private property in which case the project will coordinate in advance with individual business/property owners.
THIRD TRACK CONSTRUCTION
- Crews from J-Track will continue installing the third track ties and rails from Urban Ave to Hicksville.
- During the first week of July, on one night during the overnight hours surfacing equipment will be moved from Divide 1 (approx. Urban Ave) to New Nassau 1 (approx.. Merillon Ave Station)
- With planting season underway, the project has remained committed to landscaping and other design elements – such as the planting of trees, shrubs, and other greenery – that will enhance a completed project element and contribute to the beautification of the corridor.
DOUBLE TRACK OUTAGES
- July 9-10: LIRR is using a non-project related DTO to perform Track Work at Mineola Station using a track-laying machine (TLM).
- Hi-rails will be getting on and off on South 11thand Elmwood St to support Mineola work.
- July 16-17: Intensive piggyback work will occur while crews finish the restoration of the Atlantic Avenue wall on the north side of the tracks between the Meadowbrook Parkway and Cherry Lane Bridge.
- July 23-24: Intensive work will occur between Bellerose Station and Covert Avenue on the Hempstead Branch in Floral Park from 9 p.m. on Friday to 5 a.m. on Monday
- Weekend work will follow on the Mainline from Floral Park Station to NHP Station.
- July 30-31:
- Intensive project work will occur between Herricks Road in Mineola and Glen Cove road in Carle Place from 9PM on Friday to 5am on Monday while crews are installing the Nassau 2 switches just east of Mineola Station
- Project work will also be occurring up the Oyster Bay Branch to Jericho Tpke.
- Please visit the MTA Planned Service Page (https://new.mta.info/) to plan your trip.
ADDITIONAL LIRR WORK ALONG THE RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.