Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of July, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Mineola:
- Crews from E-J Electric will continue the process of removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- In some areas, workers may have to access private property in which case the project will coordinate in advance with individual business/property owners.
- Upcoming drainage installation will require partial or full closure of Mineola Parking Field 23.
MINEOLA STATION ENHANCEMENTS
- The Mineola Station House interior and exterior renovations are in progress.
- For information on how to access and navigate the station, please click here.
- Throughout July, crews are continuing to work on both overpasses and support buildings on the north and south sides of the tracks.
- E-J Electric is continuing the installation of conduit, platform columns, signage bands, and light fixtures on both the north and south sides of the tracks.
- Sidewalk and curb installation will continue throughout July.
- Work progresses on the G-16 substation as we continue the process of energizing the facility to prepare the substation for service.
- Crews will be up and down the ROW evaluating and backfilling where appropriate to bring this project element to substantial completion.
- Access to private property may be needed and business/homeowners will be contacted individually if so.
THIRD TRACK INSTALLATION
- Crews will install track and place ballast near the Roslyn Bridge.
- During the first half of July, the third track will be built from approximately Herricks Rd toward Mineola Station
- During the last week of July, surfacing is expected to occur from approximately Willis Ave to Glen Cove Road
- With planting season underway, the project has remained committed to landscaping and other design elements – such as the planting of trees, shrubs and other greenery – that will enhance a completed project element and contribute to the beautification of the corridor.
DOUBLE TRACK OUTAGES
- July 9-10: LIRR is using a non-project related DTO to perform Track Work at Mineola Station using a track-laying machine (TLM).
- Hi-rails will be getting on and off on South 11thand Elmwood St to support Mineola work.
- July 16-17: Intensive piggyback work will occur while crews finish the restoration of the Atlantic Avenue wall on the north side of the tracks between the Meadowbrook Parkway and Cherry Lane Bridge.
- July 23-24: Intensive work will occur between Bellerose Station and Covert Avenue on the Hempstead Branch in Floral Park from 9 p.m. on Friday to 5 a.m. on Monday
- Weekend work will follow on the Mainline from Floral Park Station to NHP Station.
- July 30-31:
- Intensive project work will occur between Herricks Road in Mineola and Glen Cove road in Carle Place from 9PM on Friday to 5am on Monday while crews are installing the Nassau 2 switches just east of Mineola Station
- Project work will also be occurring up the Oyster Bay Branch to Jericho Tpke.
- Please visit the MTA Planned Service Page (https://new.mta.info/) to plan your trip.
ADDITIONAL LIRR WORK ALONG THE RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.