Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of June, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Westbury:
WESTBURY STATION ENHANCEMENTS
- On the north side of the tracks, crews are working on installation of platform foundations, utilities, concrete and formwork for overpass buildings.
- EJ Electric is installing conduits while 3TC performs precast wall installation on the north and south sides of the tracks.
- Both pedestrian overpasses, elevator jacks, and pistons are now installed. Construction continues with anticipated completion by Q3 of 2022.
- Construction on the pocket park will continue through June, with an anticipated opening in early Q3 of 2022.
- The pedestrian underpass has reopened. Commuters are encouraged to use it to access the north and south platforms.
- Due to ongoing construction in the surrounding area, temporary, intermittent underpass closures may be required.
- Union Avenue has been reopened in its original 2-way traffic pattern for the duration of construction.
- In June, the dead ends on the south side of ROW will be available for village use.
- The public is directed to utilize the west end of the station.
- For ADA access points and help navigating the station, please click here.
- Crews are installing support of excavation for wall west of Post Ave. Retaining wall work to follow.
- Crews from E-J Electric have begun removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- Workers may need access to private property in some areas, in which case the project will communicate with specific business/property owners ahead of time.
- With planting season underway, 3TC has remained committed to landscaping and other design elements – such as the planting of trees, shrubs and other greenery – that will enhance a completed project and contribute to the beautification of the corridor.
3RD TRACK INSTALLATION
- Crews continue to install trackbed from Westbury Station to Urban Ave.
DOUBLE TRACK OUTAGES
- There are currently no double track outages scheduled for June. Check back next month for July and August DTO information.
ADDITIONAL LIRR WORK ALONG THE RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.