Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of June, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Hyde Park:
- Crews from E-J Electric have begun removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- Workers may need access to private property in some areas, in which case the project will communicate with specific business/property owners ahead of time.
- On Monday, June 6 to Thursday, June 9 and Saturday, June 13 to Thursday, June 16 there will be overnight work between Covert Ave. to New Hyde Park Station in New Hyde Park while crews remove poles.
G14 SUBSTATION REPLACEMENT
- Crews from 3TC and EJ Electric will continue finish work throughout the month. As a result, work may necessitate intermittent road closures. Crews will install permanent fencing, paving, and landscaping surrounding the structure.
- The G14 Substation is one of several substations along the Main Line being replaced or modified with new modern equipment.
NEW HYDE PARK STATION ENHANCEMENTS
- The New Hyde Park Station house is complete and open to the public.
- Permanent handrails are expected to be installed this month.
- Ongoing punch list items at the station are being addressed.
- Throughout June, 3TC is finishing its work. Light fixtures, pavers, bollards, final on-street/platform signage, curbs, sidewalks, and other items that surround the station are being installed.
- With planting season underway, 3TC has remained committed to landscaping and other design elements – such as the planting of trees, shrubs, and other greenery – that will enhance a completed project element and contribute to the beautification of the corridor.
3RD TRACK CONSTRUCTION
- Merillon Ave. surfacing is complete between Nassau Blvd and Herricks Rd.
- Ties and rails will be installed at the north side of the track near Merillon Ave.
DOUBLE TRACK OUTAGES
- There are currently no double track outages scheduled for June. Check back next month for July and August DTO information.
ADDITIONAL LIRR WORK ALONG THE RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.