Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of May, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Garden City and Garden City Park:
- Crews from EJ Electric have begun the process of removing temporary utility poles across the entire project alignment.
- In some areas, workers may have to access private property in which case the project will coordinate in advance with individual business/property owners.
Tanners Pond Rd / Denton Ave Bridge Replacement Project
- Following the 4/29 weekend outage and successful bridge push-in, the project team is coordinating closely with the Village of Garden City to finalize the design of the new traffic configuration and re-open the roadway by mid-June.
- As a result, local road closures and detours are in place for the time being.
- Tanners Pond Road/Denton Avenue is closed from Main Avenue to Railroad Avenue. Thru traffic is being redirected to alternate routes, and work zone traffic control (WZTC) signage has been posted throughout the closure.
- A vehicular detour map for the area can be found here.
- A concrete U-box substructure was installed which supported the new bridge superstructure. 3TC used the box-jacking method (like the method used at the New Hyde Park Road underpass) which allowed 3TC to move the bridge into place during a single weekend.
- The Tanners Pond/Denton Avenue Bridge is the last of seven bridges to be replaced or modified as part of the project.
- An ADA-compliant sidewalk is planned on the east side of the roadway which will allow pedestrians to traverse safely between the north and south sides of the tracks.
- Following the successful SOE installation on the north side of the tracks, crews are installing retaining walls from Nassau Boulevard to approximately Cornelia Avenue.
- Approximately 70% of walls in this area are complete with anticipated completion by 5/22.
Merillon Avenue Station Enhancement
- Both elevators are now fully operational and available for use.
- 3TC has substantially completed its work on the Merillon Avenue Station. We can now begin the process of restoring the area in its permanent condition.
o As a result, there will be ongoing punch list work at the station throughout the month.
- With planting season underway, 3TC has remained committed to landscaping and other design elements – such as the planting of trees, shrubs and other greenery – that will enhance a completed project and contribute to the beautification of the corridor.
Nassau 3 Interlocking, Signal and Divide 1 System
- The new system is a necessary component of a comprehensive modernization effort to streamline operations, optimize flexibility, and ensure the safe movement of trains along the corridor.
- Crews have begun removing and installing the Divide 1 switches. For more information regarding this work and its impacts, please see the following notice from the MTA.
Double Track Outages and Weekend Work
Both tracks on the Mainline will be out of service on Saturdays from 1:17 am to Mondays at 2:27 am on the following, upcoming weekends:
- May 14-15
- May 21-22
Please visit the MTA Planned Service Page (https://new.mta.info/) to plan your trip
For residents living along the ROW:
Throughout the month of May, crews are working along the right-of-way on the weekends. Although work will be intensive along the corridor from Floral Park to Hicksville, consolidating the work timeframe will minimize impacts to commuters and the surrounding communities, ultimately reducing the need for invasive trackwork for years to come.
- On the weekends of May 14-15 and May 21-22 (Fridays at ~9:00 PM to Mondays at ~5:00 AM) crews are working along the right-of-way. Intensive work will occur between Urban Ave in New Cassel & Charlotte Ave in Hicksville.
- Please note that the LIRR and project team are utilizing upcoming DTO weekends to complete other necessary rail infrastructure upgrades along the corridor.
** There are no double-track outages or intensive work occurring during Mother’s Day, Memorial Day, the Belmont Stakes, or Father’s Day/Juneteenth weekend **
Additional LIRR Work Along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to the activities described above, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way at various times during the month.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may be taking place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com.