Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of February, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Hyde Park:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
g14 Substation Replacement
- Crews from 3TC and EJ Electric will continue to work on the necessary punch list and utilities that power the G14 Substation.
- The G14 Substation is one of several substations along the Main Line being replaced or modified with new modern equipment.
- Due to continued excavation and installation of sub base and ballast retaining wall along 2nd Avenue parking may be affected.
- 3rd Ave is now re-open to parking
New Hyde Park Station Enhancements
- Canopy columns, platform guardrails, and platform roofing will continue throughout the station. Light fixtures, pavers, bollards, and other items that surround the station will also be installed.
- Rehabilitation work including electrical, brick and glass enhancements on New Hyde Park Station house is nearing completion.
- NHP Station and the South 12th St Pedestrian Underpass are expected to be complete in Q1 of 2022
3rd Track Construction
- Crews from J-Track will continue installing the 3rd Track ties and rails from S11th St to Denton Ave.
LIRR Work Along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
Upcoming Double Track Outages
- Throughout the month of February, several double-track outages are currently scheduled to occur:
- Weekend of 2/5: East of Mineola
- Weekend of 2/12: from New Hyde Park to Westbury, including Mineola
- Weekend of 2/19: East of Mineola
- For the most up-to-date information on outages and accommodations, please visit https://new.mta.info/alerts, where updates will be posted soon.