Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of January, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Hyde Park:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
g14 Substation Replacement
- Crews from 3TC and EJ Electric will continue to work on the necessary punch list and utilities that power the G14 Substation.
- These activities are predominantly scheduled for day shift however there will be one or two night operations to support construction.
- The G14 Substation is one of several substations along the Main Line being replaced or modified with new modern .
- Retaining wall installation on the north side of tracks from Covert Ave to New Hyde Park Station is on hold while being redesigned.
- 2nd Ave is now re-open to parking
- New Hyde Park Station will remain accessible throughout this activity.
New Hyde Park Station Enhancements
- Canopy columns, platform guardrails, and platform roofing will continue throughout the station. Light fixtures, pavers, bollards and other items that surround the station will also be installed.
- Rehabilitation work including electrical, brick and glass enhancements on New Hyde Park Station house is nearing completion.
- NHP Station and the South 12th St Pedestrian Underpass are expected to be complete in Q1 of 2022
3rd Track Construction
- Crews from J-Track will continue installing the 3rd Track ties and rails from S11th St to Denton Ave.
LIRR Work Along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
Upcoming Double Track Outages
- On January 15-16, in support of a switch removal in Queens Interlocking, both main tracks on the Hempstead Branch will be out of service.
- Buses will replace train service at Bellerose Station and between Stewart Manor and Hempstead on the Hempstead Branch. Regularly scheduled Hempstead Branch Trains will depart Atlantic Terminal making stops at Nostrand Avenue, East New York, Jamaica, Hollis, Queens Village, Floral Park and then will proceed via the Main Line to Mineola Station where customers will detrain for bus service to all stations between Stewart Manor and Hempstead. Customers at Bellerose Station will be accommodated by buses to/from Queens Village Station for train service.
- On January 22-23, in support of a switch removal in Queens Interlocking, both main tracks on the Main Line will be out of service between New Hyde Park and Hicksville.
- Extra trains will be added between Hempstead and Penn Station to serve as an alternative service option for customers traveling to/from New Hyde Park, Merillon Avenue, Mineola, Carle Place, and Westbury.
- Bus service will be provided for Mineola customers between Mineola and Hempstead for connections to and from points west.
- Bus service will also be provided between Mineola and Hicksville.
- On January 29-30, in support of signal testing, both main tracks on the Main Line will be out of service between Mineola and Hicksville.
- As an alternative, additional service will be provided on the Hempstead Branch on a half-hourly basis.
- Buses will replace train service between Mineola and Huntington.
- For up-to-date LIRR service changes, please visit https://new.mta.info/alerts
For up-to-date LIRR service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit https://new.mta.info/alerts