Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of January, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Cassel:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
- Retaining and sound wall installation will continue on the north side of the tracks in New Cassel, from Sylvester Street to the Wantagh State Parkway.
Nassau 3 Interlocking & Signal System and Divide 1 System
- Crews are continuing to install utilities to support the New Nassau 3 Interlocking & Signal System and Divide 1 System from School Street to the Wantagh State Parkway along the right of way
G18 and G19 Substations
- Crews from 3TC and EJ Electric will continue performing the necessary electrical work to feed these substation’s
- The G18 and G19 Substations are two of several substations along the Main Line that have been replaced or modified with new modern equipment.
LIRR Work Along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
Upcoming Double Track Outages
- On January 15-16, in support of a switch removal in Queens Interlocking, both main tracks on the Hempstead Branch will be out of service.
- Buses will replace train service at Bellerose Station and between Stewart Manor and Hempstead on the Hempstead Branch. Regularly scheduled Hempstead Branch Trains will depart Atlantic Terminal making stops at Nostrand Avenue, East New York, Jamaica, Hollis, Queens Village, Floral Park and then will proceed via the Main Line to Mineola Station where customers will detrain for bus service to all stations between Stewart Manor and Hempstead. Customers at Bellerose Station will be accommodated by buses to/from Queens Village Station for train service.
- On January 22-23, in support of a switch removal in Queens Interlocking, both main tracks on the Main Line will be out of service between New Hyde Park and Hicksville.
- Extra trains will be added between Hempstead and Penn Station to serve as an alternative service option for customers traveling to/from New Hyde Park, Merillon Avenue, Mineola, Carle Place, and Westbury.
- Bus service will be provided for Mineola customers between Mineola and Hempstead for connections to and from points west.
- Bus service will also be provided between Mineola and Hicksville.
- On January 29-30, in support of signal testing, both main tracks on the Main Line will be out of service between Mineola and Hicksville.
- As an alternative, additional service will be provided on the Hempstead Branch on a half-hourly basis.
- Buses will replace train service between Mineola and Huntington.
- For up-to-date LIRR service changes, please visit https://new.mta.info/alerts