Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of December, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Hyde Park:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
G14 Substation Replacement
- Crews from 3TC and EJ Electric will continue to work on the necessary punch list and utilities that power the G14 Substation
- During this work, there may be intermittent closures of S 9th Street at the intersection of 3rd Avenue
- The G14 Substation is one of several substations along the Main Line being replaced or modified with new modern equipment
- Sound wall installation on the north side of the tracks from Covert Ave to New Hyde Park Station is on hold while it is being redesigned.
- 2nd Avenue is now re-open to parking
- New Hyde Park Station will remain accessible throughout this activity.
New Hyde Park Station Enhancement Project
- Installation of canopy columns, platform guardrails, and platform roofing will continue throughout the station. Light fixtures, pavers, bollards and other on street related items will also be installed
- Rehabilitation work including electrical, brick and glass enhancements on the New Hyde Park Station house will continue through mid-December.
- EJ Electric will continue to install conduit, wire, signage band, lighting and cameras along the north and south sides of the right of way. The north side of the right of way requires a track outage and will be performed at night
- This work will take place overnight, Monday through Thursday and is expected to last until January 2022
- Sound wall construction between the south side of the tracks and 3rd Avenue is complete
- Sound wall construction between Covert Avenue and New Hyde Park Road is expected to be complete during the first quarter of 2022
3rd Rail Construction
- Crews from J-Track will be installing the new 3rd Track from S11th Street to Denton Avenue
LIRR WORK ALONG THE RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date LIRR service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit www.MTA.info/LIRR