Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of December, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Garden City and Garden City Park:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
3rd Track Installation
- Crews from J-Track will be installing the 3rd Rail over Denton Ave Bridge. As a result, Denton Avenue is scheduled to be closed overnight 12/7 through 12/8 from approximately 9pm to 6am
- On the north side of the tracks, from Nassau Boulevard to approximately Cornelia Avenue, crews will install support of excavation (SOE) to allow upcoming wall construction
Merillon Avenue Station Enhancement
- 3TC is working hard on completing punch list items throughout the station, including platform shelters, brick façade on columns, and other amenities
- Work on the north support building will continue
- EJ Electric is continuing to install signage bands, conduit, and light fixtures along the platforms on the north and south sides of the tracks
Tanners Pond Road / Denton Avenue Bridge Replacement Project
- Crews will begin early utility relocation work to accommodate for the upcoming bridge replacement. This work may require traffic alterations
- As a result, local road closures and detours may be necessary
- It is expected that Tanners Pond Road/Denton Avenue will close from Main Avenue to Railroad Avenue while 3TC completes this project element.
- Thru-traffic will be redirected to alternate routes. Work zone traffic control (WZTC) signage will be posted throughout the closure.
- The Tanners Pond/Denton Avenue Bridge is the last of seven bridges to be replaced or modified as part of the project
- The bridge is scheduled to be removed and replaced with a three-track structure to accommodate the new third track and improve safety while maintaining the bridge’s character
- An ADA-compliant sidewalk is planned on the east side of the roadway which will allow pedestrians to traverse safely between the north and south sides of the tracks
LIRR Work Along The Right of Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date LIRR service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit www.MTA.info/LIRR