Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of November, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Hyde Park:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
G14 Substation Replacement
- Crews from EJ Electric will continue to work on the necessary electrical utilities that power the G14 Substation
- For three days in early November, South 9th Street will close in front of the G14 Substation, at the intersection of 3rd Avenue, from approximately 7am to 4pm, for the installation of steel.
- No driveways will be impacted during this activity.
- The G14 Substation is one of several substations along the Main Line being replaced or modified with new modern equipment.
- Retaining wall installation on the north side of tracks from Covert Ave to New Hyde Park Station will continue in late November
- As a result, there will be no parking along 2nd Avenue during this activity
- Intermittent road closures may be necessary in order to facilitate material deliveries to the area
- New Hyde Park Station will remain accessible throughout construction
New Hyde Park Station Enhancement Project
- In early November, crews from EJ Electric will continue installing utilities along the right-of-way overnight for approximately three weeks.
- Work is expected to conclude by mid-November.
- Canopy columns, platform guardrails, and platform roofing will be installed throughout November. Light fixtures, pavers and bollards will be installed along the station, in addition to thin brick for the new pedestrian underpass
- Rehabilitation work including electrical, brick and glass enhancements on New Hyde Park Station house will continue through early November
- EJ Electric will continue to install conduit, wire, signage band, lighting and cameras along the north and south sides of the right of way.
- This work will take place overnight, Monday through Thursday, for approximately three weeks in November
- Parking restrictions at New Hyde Park
- Until Winter 2022 – There is no parking along 3rd Avenue between Covert Avenue and South 12th Street, nor along 2nd Avenue between South 11th Street and South 12th Street. These closures facilitate the construction of a new pedestrian underpass and sound walls.
- We expect that the parking spots will reopen by winter 2022. As an alternative, use the new metered parking lot on the north side of the tracks between New Hyde Park Road and Herkomer Street.
- Click here to see a map of the station.
LIRR WORK ALONG THE RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date LIRR service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit www.MTA.info/LIRR