Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of November, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Mineola:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
Mineola Station Enhancement Project
- Foundations, columns and retaining wall installation will continue on the north and south sides of the tracks through early November
- Crews are working on the overpass building, on both the north and south sides of the tracks
- Work on the support building is continuing on the north side of the tracks
- EJ Electric is working on the installation of conduit, signage bands, and light fixtures on both the north and south sides of the tracks
- The Mineola Station House interior and exterior renovations are underway
- You must be in the first 10 cars to exit westbound trains at Mineola
- Until further notice – The easternmost portion of Platform A (westbound/north side) is closed while the station is renovated as part of the LIRR Expansion Project. In addition, the station building/ticket office is closed and replaced with a temporary ticket office.
- Parts of the station plaza and parking lots on both sides of the station are closed for construction. To cross the tracks, you must use the Mineola Intermodal Center overpass located west of the open platforms. Please allow additional time to reach the platform.
- Note: If you are riding the 5:33 PM weekday train from Penn Station to Hicksville, you will also need to be in the first 10 cars to exit at Mineola as this train arrives on the north side platform.
- Click here to see a map of the station.
- 3TC and EJ Electric are continuing to install necessary utilities to feed the new substation
- For approximately three days in mid-November, lane closures on Front Street and 2nd Street between Mineola Boulevard and Roslyn Road will be necessary to facilitate the installation of utilities to the new G16 Substation, between the hours of 7am to 4pm.
- EJ Electric will be installing utility poles around the new and old substation this month.
- Work will take place during the week and on weekends
- The G16 Substation is one of several substations along the Main Line being replaced or modified with new modern equipment.
Willis Avenue Underpass
- Willis Avenue fully reopened to the public on Friday, September 3rd, marking the successful elimination of all eight grade crossings a part of the LIRR Expansion Project. Click here to read more about this incredible project milestone.
- Crews will continue to work on punch list items along the roadway throughout the month of November
- In late November, EJ Electric will install cameras beneath the Willis Avenue Underpass, for approximately two weeks
- A lane closure will be required to help facilitate the installation. Flaggers will be present to assist with two-way traffic
Roslyn Road Underpass
- In late November, EJ Electric will install cameras beneath the Roslyn Road Underpass, for approximately one week
- No lane closures will be necessary to facilitate the installation
Nassau 3 Interlocking
- Crews are continuing to install signal cable for the New Nassau 3 Interlocking & Signal System from Roslyn Road to the Glen Cove Road along the right of way on the north side of the tracks
- Work will continue throughout November as crews from EJ Electric pull signal power from Willis Avenue to Glen Cove Road
3rd Track Installation
- On Saturday, November 20th and Sunday, November 21st, crews will perform track repairs at Herricks Road Bridge during the day and overnight Crews are continuing to install ballast from Willis Ave to Glen Cove Road on the south side of the tracks to prepare for the future installation of third track
- Once complete, crews will begin the installation of third track
LIRR Work Along The Right of Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date LIRR service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit www.MTA.info/LIRR