Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of October, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Mineola:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
Willis Avenue Grade Crossing
- Willis Avenue fully reopened to the public on Friday, September 3rd, marking the successful elimination of all eight grade crossings a part of the LIRR Expansion Project. Click here to read more about this incredible project milestone.
- Crews will continue to work on punch list items along the roadway throughout the month of October
Nassau 3 Interlocking
- Crews are continuing to install signal cable for the New Nassau 3 Interlocking & Signal System from Roslyn Road to the Glen Cove Road along the right of way on the north side of the tracks
- Work will continue throughout October as crews from EJ Electric pull signal power from east of Mineola Station to Glen Cove Road
3rd Track Installation
- Third track installation will begin at Mineola Station during the last Saturday of the month
- Crews will install ballast from Willis Ave to Glen Cove Road on the south side of the tracks to prepare for the future installation of third track
- Following this activity, crews will begin the installation of third track
Mineola Station Enhancement Project
- Canopy columns, platform guardrail, and canopy roofing will be installed on the north and south sides of the tracks throughout October
- Foundations for platforms and retaining walls will continue to be installed as well
- The installation of glazing and storefront will continue through the month
- Columns and decking will be cast in place underneath Mineola Blvd, on the north side of the tracks, during the first two Saturdays of October
- EJ Electric is working on the installation of conduit, signage bands, and light fixtures on both the north and south sides of the tracks
- The Mineola Station House has been temporarily relocated while renovations are underway at the permanent facility
- Commuters will purchase tickets at a temporary ticket house, just west of the permanent ticket house.
- Foundations and precast stairs are being installed on the overpass this month.
Herricks Road Bridge
- EJ Electric will be installing camera beneath the Herricks Road bridge from 9am to 4pm during the first week of October
- One lane will be closed during this operation. Two-way traffic will function during this time.
- Following the successful delivery and installation of the new G16 Substation, crews from 3TC and EJ Electric are continuing to install necessary utilities to feed the new substation
- Work on this project element will take place during the week and on weekends throughout October, from 7am to 4pm.
- EJ Electric will be installing poles around the new and old substation early this month.
- The G16 Substation is one of several substations along the Main Line being replaced or modified with new modern equipment.
Double Track Outages
- Double track outages have been scheduled for the Main Line for October 23-24 and October 30-31
- To reduce the overall project schedule, the project team will use these double-track outages to complete other activities in proximity to the tracks
- During these weekends, residents will likely notice increased activity along the right-of-way
- To ensure restoration of rail service by Monday mornings, crews will be working through the overnight hours
- For more information on service changes from Floral Park Station to Hicksville Station, click here.
LIRR Work Along The Right of Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date LIRR service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit www.MTA.info/LIRR