Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of September, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Hyde Park:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
3rd Track Installation
- Third track installation from Plainfield Avenue to Covert Ave has begun
- Following the installation of the third track, crews will return to place ballast along ROW
- Residents and businesses may hear noise and/or feel vibrations during this activity
- Click here for more information on this activity
- Later this month, crews will begin to install ballast along the right of way from Covert Avenue to South 12th Street in preparation for the installation of third track
- Residents will notice crews working during the weekend on this project element
- Retaining wall installation on the north side of tracks from Covert Ave to New Hyde Park Station will begin this month.
- As a result, there will be no parking along 2nd Avenue for the duration of this activity
- Intermittent road closures may be necessary in order to facilitate material deliveries to the area
- New Hyde Park Station will remain accessible throughout construction
G14 Substation Replacement
- Crews from 3TC and EJ Electric will continue to work on the necessary electrical utilities that feed the G14 Substation
- Crews will work overnight in early-September to install above ground utilities that will feed the substation
- This activity is expected to last approximately three days
- The G14 Substation is one of several substations along the Main Line being replaced or modified with new modern equipment.
New Hyde Park Station Enhancement Project
- Crews will continue to excavate and install precast foundations along the north and south sides of the tracks in September
- Residents and commuters will notice work occurring overnight on this project element for approximately two weeks
- Rehabilitation work on New Hyde Park Station house will continue throughout the month
- Work on the South 12th Street ADA-compliant pedestrian underpass is progressing as crews work to complete the walls of the underpass
- EJ Electric will continue to install utilities along the north and south sides of the right of way
Covert Avenue Underpass
- During September, crews from EJ Electric will be installing CCTV camera and security devices beneath the Covert Avenue Underpass
- This activity will occur overnight for approximately one week, between the hours of 7pm and 5am and will require a single lane closure to complete
- Two-way traffic will function with flaggers during this operation
Double Track Outages
- Double track outages have been scheduled for the Main Line for September 11-12 and September 18-19
- To reduce the overall project schedule, the project team will use these double-track outages to complete other activities in proximity to the tracks
- During these weekends, residents will likely notice increased activity along the right-of-way
- To ensure restoration of rail service by Monday mornings, crews will be working through the overnight hours
- For more information on service changes from Floral Park Station to Hicksville Station, click here.
LIRR WORK ALONG THE RAILROAD RIGHT-OF-WAY
- LIRR hi-rail trucks will be staged between New Hyde Park Station and Merillon Avenue Station on Saturday, September 11 and Sunday, September 12 to support the removal of the switches.
- Beginning on Sunday morning, surfacing work will occur to support this operation, and will last throughout the afternoon
- Trucks will be staged along the right-of-way, west of Covert Avenue, when not in use.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date LIRR service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit www.MTA.info/LIRR