Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of August, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Cassel:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
- Retaining and sound wall installation will continue on the north side of the tracks in New Cassel, from Sylvester Street to the Wantagh State Parkway throughout the month of August
- During August, crews will repair an existing wall at the G19 Substation. This will require saw cutting the wall, during the day, followed by forming and pouring concrete.
Nassau 3 Interlocking
- Crews are continuing to install utilities to support the New Nassau 3 Interlocking & Signal System from School Street to the Wantagh State Parkway along the right of way
- Nighttime work will be required throughout the month of August to support utility installation for the New Nassau 3 Interlocking
Urban Avenue Underpass
- During August, crews from EJ Electric will be installing CCTV camera and security devices beneath the Urban Avenue Underpass
- This activity is expected to last approximately one week and will require a single lane closure to complete
- Two-way traffic will function with flaggers during this operation
Wantagh State Parkway Bridge
- During August, crews from EJ Electric will be installing electrical utilities beneath the Wantagh State Parkway Main Line Bridge
- This activity is expected to occur overnight between 9pm and 5am for approximately one night in August
- During this activity, there will be four, 15-minute traffic stops on each side of the parkway to assist with the installation of utilities
- New York State Police will be present to assist with these traffic stops, in coordination with the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT)
- Crews from 3TC and EJ Electric will continue performing the necessary electrical work to feed the substation
- The G18 Substation is one of several substations along the Main Line being replaced or modified with new modern equipment.
- Crews from 3TC are working to backfill the substation area with ballast while EJ Electric installs conduit
- During August, crews will repair an existing wall at the substation. This will require saw cutting the wall, during the day, followed by forming and pouring concrete.
- The G19 Substation is one of several substations along the Main Line being replaced or modified with new modern equipment.
LIRR Work Along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit MTA.info/LIRR