Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of May, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Floral Park:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
Floral Park Station Enhancement Project
- Finishing work on Floral Park Station is continuing as crews work on testing the ADA-compliant elevators
- Punch list work is progressing with camera and lighting installation, and the removal of temporary barricades
Hempstead Branch Switch Installation
- Support of excavation (SOE) will be installed in preparation of switch installation
- Crews are installing backbone conduit along the right of way, which is essential for railroad communications
- Crews will be delivering, offloading, and assembling four new switches at the Nassau County parking lot on Stewart Avenue, across from the New Hyde Park DPW lot
- New railroad switches are being installed on the Hempstead Branch which will allow trains to move from track to track more easily
- Crews from 3TC and EJ Electric will continue performing the necessary testing and commissioning of the substation
- The G13 Substation is one of several substations along the Main Line being replaced or modified with new modern equipment.
- Retaining wall construction is underway along the Hempstead Branch, from Tunnel Street heading east into the retention basin along the north side of the tracks.
- SOE will be removed as crews continue to set wall panels, backfill and grade along the right-of-way
- Sound wall construction on the north side of the tracks, behind the homes on Charles Street, will begin this month
- Crews are expected to work weekdays on this project element
LIRR Work Along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way
- Track raise activities will be performed during daytime hours along the Hempstead Branch throughout the month of May
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit MTA.info/LIRR