Work is beginning to resume on the LIRR Expansion Project following a temporary suspension of construction activities. Over the past several weeks, this transformative infrastructure project has been the focus of a rigorous review of safety protocols and procedures across the length of the corridor. With that review now complete, 3rd Track Constructors is restarting its assignment, focusing on efficiency and, most importantly, safety.
During the month of April, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Mineola:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
Willis Avenue Grade Crossing Elimination Project
- Excavation of Willis Avenue on both the north side and the south side of the tracks is continuing
- Residents will notice workers pouring and forming concrete for the underpass walls in the coming days
- Click here to view the vehicular detour map, which will be in affect through third quarter of 2021
- Pedestrians looking to access the businesses on the north and south sides of the tracks, click here to view the pedestrian detour map
- A two-way grade-separated underpass is being constructed in place of the Willis Avenue grade crossings and will improve safety for motorists and commuters
- Click here for more information about the future permanent configuration of the roadway
Mineola Station Enhancement Project
- Crews will install support of excavation (SOE) at Mineola Station overnight near Mineola Boulevard
- Excavation and installation of precast foundations for both the eastbound and westbound platforms will also continue overnight
- Once the foundations are installed, precast platforms and canopies will begin to be erected
- Under platform conduit installation will continue this month.
Nassau 3 Interlocking
- Crews are continuing to install backbone conduit to support the New Nassau 3 Interlocking & Signal System from Roslyn Road to Glen Cove Road along the right of way
- Crews are installing retaining and sound walls on the south side of the tracks from Roslyn Road to Glen Cove Road
LIRR Work Along The Right of Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way.
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date LIRR service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit www.MTA.info/LIRR