Work is beginning to resume on the LIRR Expansion Project following a temporary suspension of construction activities. Over the past several weeks, this transformative infrastructure project has been the focus of a rigorous review of safety protocols and procedures across the length of the corridor. With that review now complete, 3rd Track Constructors is restarting its assignment, focusing on efficiency and, most importantly, safety.
During the month of April, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Floral Park:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
Floral Park Station Enhancement Project
- Finishing work on Floral Park Station is continuing as crews work on the ADA-compliant elevators.
Hempstead Branch Switch Installation
- Support of excavation (SOE) will be installed in preparation of switch installation
- Crews are installing backbone conduit along the right of way, which is essential for railroad communications
- New railroad switches are being installed on the Hempstead Branch which will allow trains to move from track to track more easily
- Retaining wall construction is underway along the Hempstead Branch, from Tunnel Street heading east into the retention basin along the north side of the tracks.
- Crews will continue to backfill and grade along the right-of-way
LIRR Work Along The Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way
- Track raise activities will be performed during daytime hours along the Hempstead Branch throughout the month of April
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit MTA.info/LIRR