Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of December, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Cassel:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
School Street Grade Crossing Elimination Project
- On Friday, November 13, Lieutenant Governor Kathy Hochul joined MTA C&D, LIRR, and 3TC to open the new underpass at School Street. This significant project element was accompanied by a ribbon cutting and marked the fifth of eight grade crossings to be successfully eliminated as part of the Project. For more information on this incredible milestone click here
- Following the opening of the roadway, crews are continuing to work on restoration of the surrounding area
- The School Street grade crossing has been reconstructed into a two-way grade separated underpass with a pedestrian sidewalk on the east side, and Railroad Avenue has been reconstructed to maintain access to School Street. The newly built U-structure for the School Street Underpass was successfully installed over one weekend in October during a double track outage on the LIRR’s Main Line. For more information on this incredible milestone click here.
- In early December, the new G19 substation structure will be delivered to the site
- In order to accommodate for this work, a small portion of Railroad Avenue, at the intersection of Broadway, will close for one weekend
- During the beginning stages of this activity, crews will work to remove support of excavation (SOE) from the site.
- In adherence to our commitment to minimize disruption to the community, noise, dust, and vibration are continuously monitored
- Following the delivery of the structure, residents will continue to see crews in the area installing the necessary utilities into, and around, the structure
Permanent Utility Pole Installation
- Crews from EJ Electric are working during the day and overnight setting permanent steel and wooden utility poles along the railroad right-of-way
- Once the poles are installed, crews will safely relocate cables from temporary poles to the permanent poles
- Heavy construction equipment including cranes, bucket trucks, and more, are needed for this work
- 3TC is contractually committed to performing ongoing environmental monitoring including air quality, vibration levels, and noise levels
- Click here to read more about this activity
LIRR Work along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way. These activities may include:
- Regular track inspection and maintenance; rail tie replacement; grade crossing elimination preparatory work
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends.
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit MTA.info/LIRR