Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of December, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Mineola:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
Willis Avenue Grade Crossing Elimination Project
- As of November 30, Willis Avenue is closed entirely to vehicular traffic between 3rd Street and 2nd Street for the elimination of the street-level grade crossings for both the Main Line and the Oyster Bay Branch
- During the closure, Front Street, between Willis Avenue and Roslyn Road, will remain a two-way roadway accessible to local traffic from Roslyn Road
- The western portion of Front Street, between Main Street and Willis Avenue, will be accessible to two-way local traffic from Main Street.
- 2nd Street is currently closed at the intersection of Willis Avenue while crews grade the roadway to align with the future underpass at Willis Avenue.
- This closure is expected to last approximately three months
- Click here to view the vehicular detour map, which will be in affect through third quarter of 2021
- Access to businesses along Willis Avenue and 2nd Street will be maintained throughout the closure
- Pedestrians looking to access the businesses on the north and south sides of the tracks, click here to view the pedestrian detour map
- Crews are progressing the installation of support of excavation (SOE) along Willis Avenue to prep the area for excavation
- Soldier piles (SOE) are being installed using vibratory hammers to form a wall for earth support which is required for excavation
- Following the installation of SOE, crews will begin to excavate on both the north side of the tracks and the south side of the tracks
- A two-way grade-separated underpass is being constructed in place of the Willis Avenue grade crossings. The following changes to vehicular and pedestrian traffic will take effect when construction of the underpass is complete:
- Vehicles will be able to access Front Street, between Main Street and Willis Avenue, from a northbound service road on the western side of Willis Avenue. This service road will be accessible from eastbound 3rd Street only, between Main Street and Willis Avenue.
- Front Street between Willis Avenue and Roslyn Road will be accessible via Roslyn Road only and will provide a continuous connection to the western portion of Front Street between Main Street and Willis Avenue.
- 3rd Street between Willis Avenue and Roslyn Road will be accessible by traveling northbound on Willis Avenue from Old Country Road.
- Hinck Way will be closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic and available as a service road for LIRR personnel only.
- Pedestrians will traverse between the north and south sides of the tracks by using a newly constructed pedestrian overpass located west of Main Street. Please see the pedestrian map above for more information on crossing the tracks.
Mineola Station Enhancement Project
- Throughout the month of December, crews will continue to form, rebar and pour the platform columns and platform foundations on both the north and south sides of the tracks
- Crews are progressing the installation of utilities along the tracks in Mineola
- 3TC will continue to coordinate with Village officials to mitigate any traffic impact within the Village
- Commuters will continue to access temporary platforms and walkways, extending westward off of the existing platforms
- Click here to see the LIRR service change notification with more information on available ingress and egress points
Harrison Avenue Parking Structure
- Construction on the Harrison Avenue Parking Structure is substantially complete
- Crews are in the process of commissioning and testing the garage to ensure complete functionality and safety requirements are met
- This new five-level, 551-space parking garage has been constructed to replace the former surface parking lot area west of Mineola Boulevard, between Harrison Avenue and First Street, and will serve both LIRR commuters and downtown Mineola. The new garage will represent a net increase of 446 parking spaces
- Click here to read more about the construction of the parking structure
Permanent Utility Pole Installation
- Temporary above-ground utility relocation is ongoing throughout the Village of Mineola both during the day and overnight along the Oyster Bay Line and the Main Line
- Intermittent lane closures may occur to help facilitate this work
- 3TC will coordinate closely with property owners prior to any necessary and anticipated power outages
- EJ Electric and 3TC are coordinating closely with the Village of Mineola to lessen the effects of road closures within the Village
- Crews from EJ Electric are working during the day and overnight setting permanent utility poles along the railroad right-of-way
- Once the poles are installed, crews will be able to safely relocate cables from temporary poles to the permanent poles
- Heavy construction equipment including vacuum trucks, cranes, bucket trucks, and more, are needed for this work
- 3TC is contractually committed to performing ongoing environmental monitoring including air quality, vibration levels, and noise levels
- Click here to read more about this activity
- Retaining wall and security fence installation is continuing from Willis Avenue to Roslyn Road on the south side of the tracks
- Crews will continue to progress the installation of sound and retaining walls between Roslyn Road and Glen Cove Road on the south side of the tracks
- Residents will see crews working both during the day and overnight on this project element
- In adherence to our commitment to minimize disruption to the community, noise, dust, and vibration are continuously monitored
G16 Substation Replacement/LIRR Crew Facilities
- Crews from 3TC are coordinating the demolition of the existing brick substation facility on Main Street, which is scheduled to take place this month
LIRR Work along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way. These activities may include:
- Regular track inspection and maintenance; rail tie replacement; grade crossing elimination preparatory work
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date LIRR service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit www.MTA.info/LIRR