Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of October, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Westbury:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
School Street Grade Crossing Elimination Project (DOUBLE TRACK OUTAGE OCTOBER 3 – 4)
- During the weekend of October 3-4, a double track outage on the LIRR’s Main Line will allow the existing tracks to be demolished, and a newly built U-structure, which supports a new steel track bed, will be jacked into place using a box-jacking method previously used at New Hyde Park Road, Covert Avenue and Urban Avenue
- Train service will be suspended between Jamaica and Hicksville during this time. For up-to-date service information please click here
- Once the structure is in place, crews will work throughout October to grade and repave the surrounding roadway
- School Street is expected to be reopened in November
- For the remainder of the closure, signage and detour plans are in place to help vehicles and pedestrians to navigate the area.
- The School Street grade crossing, located in the Village of Westbury and the Town of North Hempstead, is one of eight street-level crossings being eliminated as part of the LIRR Expansion Project. In consultation with the Village and the Town, the grade crossing is being reconstructed into a two-way grade separated underpass with a pedestrian sidewalk on the east side. Railroad Avenue will be reconstructed to maintain access to School Street.
- From Carle Road to Ellison Avenue, on the north side of the tracks, crews are returning to finish installation of the retaining and sound wall
- Residents will see crews working around the clock on this crucial project element throughout the fall
- On the south side of the tracks, from Carle Road to Ellison Avenue, retaining and sound wall construction is progressing
- Retaining and sound wall construction is continuing on the south side of the tracks from the dead end of Madison Avenue to Post Avenue
- In adherence to our commitment to minimize disruption to the community, noise, dust, and vibration are continuously monitored
Permanent Utility Pole Installation
- EJ Electric is working during the day and overnight setting permanent steel and wooden utility poles along the railroad right-of-way.
- This month, from Ellison Avenue to Post Avenue, steel poles will be installed along the north side of the right-of-way
- Crews will continue to install pole bases from Carle Road to Ellison Avenue throughout the fall
- Once the bases have been installed, 3TC will quickly begin the process of permanent pole installation.
- Excavation work has begun at Westbury Station for future pole setting
- Once excavation is complete, crews will return to install both steel and wood permanent utility poles
- After the poles are installed, crews will safely relocate cables from temporary poles to the permanent poles
- Heavy construction equipment including cranes, bucket trucks, and more, are needed for this work
- 3TC is contractually committed to performing ongoing environmental monitoring including air quality, vibration levels, and noise levels
- Click here to read more about this activity
Westbury North Parking Structure
- Throughout the month of October, crews will continue the installation of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing; the installation of the steel framing for the elevators; glass installation and glazing
- The surface parking lot surrounding the new garage will be paved and striped this month.
- Full parking structure completion is expected by the end of the year
- 3TC continues to provide a free shuttle bus between the Westbury Station and The Source Mall
- There is a shuttle stop along Union Avenue at the base of the easternmost stairwell for the westbound platform
- There is a shuttle stop at the alternate parking location at The Source Mall (Fortunoff Way and Old Country Road)
- The shuttles are synchronized to the new LIRR timetables to help ensure that all riders may make their train
- Please click here for more information
Nassau 3 Interlocking Switch Installation
- A series of double-track outages have been scheduled along the Main Line for weekends through October 25th to install new switches at the Nassau 3 Interlocking.
- To reduce the overall project schedule, the project team will use these double-track outages to complete other activities proximate to the tracks.
- During these weekends, residents will likely notice increased activity along the right-of-way.
- To ensure restoration of rail service by Monday morning, crews will be working through the overnight hours
LIRR Work along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way. These activities may include:
- Regular track inspection and maintenance; rail tie replacement; grade crossing elimination preparatory work
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit MTA.info/LIRR