New Hyde Park
Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of October, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Hyde Park:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
New Hyde Park Road Grade Crossing Elimination Project
- On September 28th, the New Hyde Park Road Pedestrian Overpass opened to pedestrians. This new ADA-compliant pathway safely connects the east and west sides of the roadway
- Throughout October, crews will work to restore the area by installing landscaping
- The new surface parking lot on the northwest side of the crossing is now open for use
- For more information about this major project milestone click here
South 12th Street Grade Crossing Elimination Project
- Beginning at 12:01 am on Saturday, October 24th, South 12thStreet will close permanently to vehicular traffic
- Vehicles will be redirected to the newly rebuilt New Hyde Park Road and Covert Avenue underpasses
- Pedestrian crossing at South 12thStreet will be restricted until the South 12th Street Pedestrian Underpass is complete next year
- Commuters will continue to access New Hyde Park Station temporary platforms between South 8thStreet and South 12th Street.
- Pedestrians from the east side of New Hyde Park Road will be able to utilize the new pedestrian overpass at New Hyde Park Road.
- Click here to see the pedestrian detour.
- South 12thStreet is one of eight at-grade crossings to be eliminated as part of the LIRR Expansion Project, and the final of three crossings to be eliminated in New Hyde Park. In its new permanent condition, a pedestrian underpass will allow commuters to traverse between both the north and south sides of the LIRR tracks
- The walls of the South 12th Street Pedestrian Underpass have been formed with concrete on both sides of the tracks. Once the road is closed, crews will begin work underneath the tracks to connect the north and south sides of the new pedestrian underpass
New Hyde Park Station Enhancement Project
- Platform canopy brick enclosure is ongoing on both the north and south station platforms, with work occurring simultaneously on the new ADA compliant stairs and ramps
- Exterior renovation on the New Hyde Park Station house will continue
- Construction is continuing at the north and south support buildings, which is necessary for the maintenance of the new station
- Residents will see crews working both on weekends and overnight hours to meet the expedited construction schedule for this crucial project element.
- For the remainder of the work, signage and detours are in place to help customers access the station. Click here to view the LIRR notification with a map of the new temporary station.
- Steel posts for the new retaining wall have been set on the north side of the tracks, between Covert Avenue to South 2nd Street and on the south side, from 6th Avenue to Covert Avenue
- Wall panel installation for both the south and north sides of the tracks is anticipated for Winter 2021
- Work on the G14 Substation is progressing on the corner of South 9th Street and 3rd Avenue
- Crews will remove support of excavation from the substation. This activity will generate noticeable noise and vibration
- In adherence to our commitment to minimize disruption to the community, noise, dust, and vibration are continuously monitored
- The G14 substation structure is expected to be delivered to the site in Winter 2021
Permanent Utility Pole Installation
- Crews from EJ Electric have completed setting permanent utility poles along the railroad right-of-way throughout the Village of New Hyde Park
- Crews will now work to safely relocate cables from temporary poles to permanent poles.
- Intermittent lane closures may occur to help facilitate this work
- 3TC will coordinate closely with property owners prior to any necessary and anticipated power outages
- Residents may see crews in the Village working on the removal of temporary poles throughout the month of October.
- Heavy construction equipment including cranes, bucket trucks, and more, are needed for this work
- Click here to read more about this activity
Nassau 3 Interlocking Switch Installation
- A series of double-track outages have been scheduled along the Main Line for weekends through October 25th to install new switches at the Nassau 3 Interlocking.
- To reduce the overall project schedule, the project team will use these double-track outages to complete other activities proximate to the tracks.
- During these weekends, residents will likely notice increased activity along the right-of-way.
- To ensure restoration of rail service by Monday morning, crews will be working through the overnight hours
LIRR Work along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way. These activities may include:
- Regular track inspection and maintenance; rail tie replacement; grade crossing elimination preparatory work
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com