Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of October, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Carle Place:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
Meadowbrook Parkway Bridge Modification Project
- Steel for the additional track bay was successfully installed over the weekend of September 19th. To read more about this successful project activity click here.
- This month, crews will continue to work on the center pier of the parkway, forming and pouring the abutments
- During this nighttime activity, the traffic alignment will shift, and all three lanes will be maintained on both northbound and southbound sides of the parkway
- 3TC will continue to coordinate with New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) throughout the modification of the bridge
- The Meadowbrook Parkway Bridge is one of seven bridges to be modified or replaced along the LIRR Main Line. The new bridge is being modified to improve infrastructure and support the new third track.
Glen Cove Road Bridge Modification Project
- Work on the Glen Cove Road Bridge Replacement Project is substantially complete.
- Crews will work to restore sidewalks this month
- Intermittent lane and sidewalk closures may be necessary to help facilitate the restoration
- Click here to learn more about this successful infrastructure installation
Carle Place Station Enhancement Project
- Work is progressing on the ADA-compliant elevator installation and station buildings at Carle Place Station
- Art glass is being installed on the new station buildings on both the north and south sides of the tracks
- Roofing will be installed this month on the south station building
- Stonehinge Lane is currently closed to traffic, from Mineola Avenue to the station, to help facilitate the construction of the new Stonehinge Lane “Kiss n’ Ride”
- This new feature will help facilitate drop offs at the new station.
- Station retaining walls are being installed on the south east side of the station along the tracks
- Please board and exit all trains at the station (westbound and eastbound) from the first 6 cars
- For all other service changes please visit MTA.info/LIRR
- Work on the G17 Substation is progressing at the western end of Mallard Road
- Throughout the month of October, crews will form and pour the ground grid at the substation
- In adherence to our commitment to minimize disruption to the community, noise, dust, and vibration are continuously monitored
Permanent Utility Pole Installation
- Crews from EJ Electric are progressing with the installation of permanent utility poles along the railroad right-of-way throughout Carle Place, specifically between Glen Cove Road and Meadowbrook Parkway
- Once the poles are installed crews will continue to safely relocate cables from temporary poles to the permanent poles
- Heavy construction equipment including cranes, bucket trucks, and more, are needed for this work
- 3TC is contractually committed to performing ongoing environmental monitoring including air quality, vibration levels, and noise levels
- Click here to read more about this activity
Nassau 3 Interlocking Switch Installation
- A series of double-track outages have been scheduled along the Main Line for weekends through October 25th to install new switches at the Nassau 3 Interlocking.
- To reduce the overall project schedule, the project team will use these double-track outages to complete other activities proximate to the tracks.
- During these weekends, residents will likely notice increased activity along the right-of-way.
- To ensure restoration of rail service by Monday morning, crews will be working through the overnight hours
LIRR Work along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way. These activities may include:
- Regular track inspection and maintenance; rail tie replacement; grade crossing elimination preparatory work
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit MTA.info/LIRR