September 12-13, 19-20, 26-27 & October 10-11, 17-18, 24-25: Switch Installation Project Alters Weekend Schedules; No Main Line train service between Hicksville and Jamaica
Special weekend timetables will be in effect for all branches on the weekends of September 12-13, 19-20, 26-27 and October 10-11, 17-18, 24-25 as we install a new switch east of Mineola Station as part of the LIRR Expansion Project. Additional infrastructure and system expansion work taking place on these weekends includes Elmont Station construction and concrete tie replacement. Please note that major service changes will also be in effect on the weekend of October 3-4, when the School Street grade crossing in Westbury is scheduled for elimination.
To allow this work to proceed, the LIRR will suspend Main Line train service between Hicksville and Jamaica. Key service impacts and alternatives appear below:
New Hyde Park, Merillon Avenue, Mineola, Carle Place and Westbury Stations: NO TRAIN SERVICE. As alternatives, use the Hempstead Branch or NICE Bus service. LIRR tickets will be cross-honored on the N22/24 bus routes for service between Hicksville and Mineola, and the N40/N41 bus routes for service between Mineola and Hempstead. See www.nicebus.com for schedules.
Oyster Bay Branch: Service will operate every two hours. All trains terminate/originate at East Williston Station. Take free LIRR shuttle buses between East Williston, Mineola and Hempstead, where half-hourly train service will be available, or use the Port Washington Branch..
Hempstead Branch: Service on the Hempstead Branch will be increased from hourly to half-hourly to help accommodate affected customers.
Huntington/Port Jefferson/Ronkonkoma Branches: Revised train routes will require westbound customers from Huntington, Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma to transfer to a shuttle train at Hicksville stopping at Bethpage and Babylon, then connect with a train from Babylon to Penn Station. Eastbound customers traveling to Huntington, Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma will reverse the process and take a train from Penn Station to Babylon, transfer to a shuttle train stopping at Bethpage and Hicksville, then transfer again to an eastbound train from Hicksville to points east. Please allow up to 60 minutes of additional travel time. As alternatives, consider traveling via the Babylon, Montauk or Hempstead Branches.
Bethpage Station: All train service will be provided by the diesel-powered shuttle trains with bi-level cars that will operate between Hicksville and Babylon. Electric trains will not stop at Bethpage Station. In addition, platform boarding patterns will change. Westbound customers should wait on the eastbound platform (Track 2, Platform B), and board a shuttle train to Babylon. Eastbound customers should wait on the westbound platform (Track 1, Platform A), and board a shuttle train to Hicksville. Please plan ahead and allow additional time to safely cross the Stewart Avenue grade crossing when getting to/from the opposite station platform.
- Masks/face coverings must be worn on LIRR property, including at stations and on trains. While onboard, masks/face coverings must remain on for the duration of your travel, including while on LIRR shuttle buses.
- Please practice social distancing by remaining six feet apart from other riders whenever possible.
- Sign up for E-Alerts at mymtaalerts.com. Download the new LIRR Train Time App (app.mylirr.org) to follow the progress of your train, check how much space is available in each train car, and much more.
- To avoid delays and transfers, use the Babylon, Hempstead, Montauk or Port Washington Branches.
- Buy LIRR tickets in advance. Customers using MTA eTix® should activate their tickets just before boarding the train.
- Look for LIRR personnel at key locations and listen for station and onboard announcements regarding track and platform changes.
- Visit mta.info/lirr for real-time service status information and to view special timetables; printed copies will not be distributed.
The LIRR Expansion Project will add a third track along nearly 10 miles of right-of-way between Floral Park and Hicksville, increasing capacity, improving reliability and creating new service opportunities. Visit amodernli.com to learn more.
For More Information: Contact the LIRR’s Customer Service Center by calling 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477). Automated schedule information is available 24/7. Agents are available to assist customers daily from 6 AM until 10 PM. To speak with an LIRR employee, say the word “Representative” when the prompts begin.
To stay informed about the LIRR Expansion Project, make sure to register for updates at – https://lirrexpansion.com/register-for-updates/. Should you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us through our 24/7 hotline, 516-203-4955 or email us at CommunityOutreach@LIRRexpansion.com