Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of September, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Westbury:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
School Street Grade Crossing Elimination Project
- School Street is currently closed to vehicular traffic between Railroad Avenue and Union Avenue, until November 2020
- On the north side of the tracks, crews will continue to form the concrete U-structure which will be the foundation for the underpass. The U-structure will support the new LIRR bridge which accommodates the additional third track of the Main Line
- Heavy construction equipment is necessary for this work including large cranes and concrete trucks
- On the south side of the tracks, precast panels have been set along the newly excavated roadway.
- Throughout September, crews continue to excavate and grade the south side of School Street to meet the new grade of the road of the roadway
- Pedestrian access to Railroad Avenue has been reinstated, enabling pedestrians to get on and off of School Street.
- For the remainder of the closure, signage and detour plans are in place to help vehicles and pedestrians to navigate the area.
- The School Street grade crossing, located in the Village of Westbury and the Town of North Hempstead, is one of eight street-level crossings being eliminated as part of the LIRR Expansion Project. In consultation with the Village and the Town, the grade crossing is being reconstructed into a two-way grade separated underpass with a pedestrian sidewalk on the east side. Railroad Avenue will be reconstructed to maintain access to School Street.
Permanent Utility Pole Installation
- Crews from EJ Electric are working during the day and overnight setting permanent steel and wooden utility poles along the railroad right-of-way.
- Poles bases have been installed from Ellison Avenue to Post Avenue. Crews will continue to install these bases from Carle Road to Ellison Avenue throughout the summer months
- Once the basis have been installed, 3TC will quickly begin the process of permanent pole installation.
- Excavation work has begun at Westbury Station, and between Carle Road and Post Avenue for future pole setting
- Once excavation is complete, crews will return to install both steel and wood permanent utility poles
- After the poles are installed, crews will safely relocate cables from temporary poles to the permanent poles
- Heavy construction equipment including cranes, bucket trucks, and more, are needed for this work
- 3TC is contractually committed to performing ongoing environmental monitoring including air quality, vibration levels, and noise levels
- From Carle Road to Ellison Avenue, on the north side of the tracks, crews are returning to finish installation of the sound wall
- Retaining and sound wall construction will begin west of Post Avenue ending at Madison Avenue
- In adherence to our commitment to minimize disruption to the community, noise, dust, and vibration are continuously monitored
Westbury North Parking Structure
- Throughout the month of September, crews will continue the installation of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing; the installation of the steel framing for the elevators; glass installation and glazing; pouring the permanent curb and sidewalk along Union Avenue and Scally Place
- Full parking structure completion is expected by the end of the year
- During the closure, 3TC continues to provide a free shuttle bus between the Westbury Station and The Source Mall
- There is a shuttle stop along Union Avenue at the base of the easternmost stairwell for the westbound platform
- There is a shuttle stop at the alternate parking location at The Source Mall (Fortunoff Way and Old Country Road)
- The shuttles are synchronized to the new LIRR timetables to help ensure that all riders may make their train
- Please click here for more information
Nassau 3 Interlocking Switch Installation
- Beginning the weekend of 9/12 and continuing each available weekend through October, there will be a series of weekend track outages along the main line for switch installation work at the New Nassau 3 Interlocking.
- The project will take advantage of these shutdowns in order to perform critical work elsewhere along the alignment. During these weekends, you may see an increase in 3TC, its subcontractors, and LIRR crews performing work along the right-of-way.
LIRR Work along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way. These activities may include:
- Regular track inspection and maintenance; rail tie replacement; grade crossing elimination preparatory work
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit MTA.info/LIRR