New Hyde Park
Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of September, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Hyde Park:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
New Hyde Park Road Grade Crossing Elimination Project
On Monday, August 24, Governor Andrew Cuomo joined by MTA Construction & Development President Janno Lieber and LIRR President Phil Eng, cut the ribbon at the site of the New Hyde Park Road Underpass. The roadway fully reopened to vehicular traffic – over two months ahead of schedule – providing for a quieter and more livable community along the railroad. For more information about this major project milestone click here
- Throughout the month of September, crews will complete the pedestrian walkways, connecting commuters to the New Hyde Park Station from the east
- Teams will begin to restore the area by installing landscaping
- The new surface parking lot on the northwest side of the crossing is now open for use
South 12th Street Grade Crossing Elimination
- Following the opening of the pedestrian bridge over New Hyde Park Road, South 12th Street is expected to close entirely to vehicular and pedestrian traffic at the grade crossing in perpetuity
- Advanced warning signage will be placed in the local community to assist drivers during the adjustment period to the new traffic configuration
- Pedestrians and vehicles should utilize New Hyde Park Road and Covert Avenue to access the New Hyde Park Station.
- South 12th Street is one of eight at-grade crossings to be eliminated as part of the LIRR Expansion Project, and the final of three crossings to be eliminated in New Hyde Park. In its new permanent condition, a pedestrian underpass will allow commuters to traverse between both the north and south sides of the LIRR tracks
- The walls of the South 12th Street Pedestrian Underpass have been formed with concrete on both sides of the tracks. Once the road is closed, crews will begin work underneath the tracks to connect the north and south sides of the new pedestrian underpass
New Hyde Park Station Enhancement Project
- Platform canopy brick enclosure is ongoing on both the north and south station platforms, with work occurring simultaneously on the new ADA compliant stairs and ramps
- Work on the New Hyde Park Station house will continue throughout September
- Construction is continuing at the north and south support buildings, which is necessary for the maintenance of the new station
- Residents will see crews working both on weekends and overnight hours to meet the expedited construction schedule for this crucial project element.
- For the remainder of the work, signage and detours are in place to help customers access the station. Click here to view the LIRR notification with a map of the new temporary station and here to see the pedestrian detour map.
- On the north side of the tracks, steel posts for the new retaining wall have been set, between Covert Avenue to South 2nd Street
- On the south side, from 6th Avenue to Covert Avenue, steel post installation for the new sound and retaining walls is expected to continue throughout September
- Wall panels for both the south and north sides of the tracks is anticipated for Winter 2021
- Work on the G14 Substation is progressing on the corner of South 9th Street and 3rd Avenue
- Throughout the month of September, crews will form and pour the ground grid at the substation
- To facilitate the installation of underground utilities which will feed the new substation, 3rd Avenue will be closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. between S.8th Street and S. 9th Street, throughout the month of September
- Work Zone Traffic Control (WZTC) Signage is be in place to help commuters navigate the area
Permanent Utility Pole Installation
- Crews from EJ Electric have completed setting permanent utility poles along the railroad right-of-way throughout the Village of New Hyde Park
- Steel and wood pole erection in the Village of New Hyde Park is complete
- Crews will now work to safely relocate cables from temporary poles to permanent poles.
- Intermittent lane closures may occur to help facilitate this work
- 3TC will coordinate closely with property owners prior to any necessary and anticipated power outages
- Residents may see crews in the Village working on the removal of temporary poles throughout the month of September.
- Heavy construction equipment including cranes, bucket trucks, and more, are needed for this work
Nassau 3 Interlocking Switch Installation
- Beginning the weekend of 9/12 and continuing each available weekend through October, there will be a series of weekend track outages along the main line for switch installation work at the New Nassau 3 Interlocking.
- The project will take advantage of these shutdowns in order to perform critical work elsewhere along the alignment. During these weekends, you may see an increase in 3TC, its subcontractors, and LIRR crews performing work along the right-of-way.
LIRR Work along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way. These activities may include:
- Regular track inspection and maintenance; rail tie replacement; grade crossing elimination preparatory work
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com