Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of June, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Floral Park:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
Linden Avenue Pedestrian Underpass
- Construction on the Linden Avenue Pedestrian Underpass is nearing completion and is expected to reopen this month
- Finishing work on the tunnel includes interior paint and the installation of hand rails
Plainfield Avenue Bridge Modification Project
- The Plainfield Avenue Bridge Modification has been built with a new single-track bay to accommodate the additional third track and provide sufficient vertical clearance to avoid bridge strikes. Click here for more information about the structure.
- During the month of June, crews from EJ Electrics are expected to install conduit underneath the bridge structure. Daily lane closures may be necessary to facilitate this activity.
Floral Park Station Enhancement Project
- Crews continue to construct three new elevators at Floral Park Station
- Steel erection for the elevators is expected to be ongoing throughout the month
- Elevators will be ADA-compliant and will provide easier access to the platforms on both sides of the station
- Construction of the sound wall along the right-of-way on Charles Street, between Main Street and Beechhurst Avenue, is expected to commence in Fall 2020
- Sound wall panels are being set on the east side of Plainfield Avenue Bridge, on the south side of the tracks. This will connect the wall on Terrace Avenue with the new bridge.
Permanent Utility Pole Installation
- As part of the overall project, continued utility pole relocation work is taking place in several communities
- Crews from EJ Electric are working to set permanent wooden utility poles along the railroad right-of-way from Plainfield Avenue to Covert Avenue
- Once the poles are installed, crews will safely relocate cables from temporary poles to the permanent poles
- Heavy construction equipment including cranes, bucket trucks, and more, are needed for this work
Work along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way. These activities may include:
- Regular track inspection and maintenance; rail tie replacement; grade crossing elimination preparatory work
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit MTA.info/LIRR