Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of May, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Cassel:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
School Street Grade Crossing Elimination Project
- Beginning May 18th, School Street will close entirely to vehicular traffic between Railroad Avenue and Union Avenue, for approximately six months
- Signage and vehicular detour plans will be in place throughout the road closure. Click here to see the detour map
- Pedestrian detour routes will be in place to help commuters access Westbury Station
- Prior to the full closure, School Street will be closed during day-shift Monday through Friday to help facilitate the end of early work construction activities
- The School Street grade crossing, located in the Village of Westbury and the Town of North Hempstead, is one of eight street-level crossings being eliminated as part of the LIRR Expansion Project. In consultation with the Village and the Town, the grade crossing is being reconstructed into a two-way grade separated underpass with a pedestrian sidewalk on the east side. Railroad Avenue will be reconstructed to maintain access to School Street.
LIRR Work along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way. These activities may include: Regular track inspection and maintenance; rail tie replacement; grade crossing elimination preparatory work
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends. For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit MTA.info/LIRR