Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of April, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in Floral Park:
Completion dates are subject to change due to developments related to COVID-19
Plainfield Avenue Bridge Modification Project
- Construction crews are working to complete the Plainfield Avenue Bridge Modification Project. The Plainfield Avenue Bridge has been built with a new single-track bay to accommodate the additional third track with the LIRR Expansion Project. The new bridge’s height clearance of 14’ will allow trucks to safely pass underneath.
- While finishing work continues on the bridge, 3TC will assist the Village with traffic control measures including, but not limited to, crossing guards, temporary crosswalks, cones, flaggers, and signage where applicable
Floral Park Station Enhancement Project
- Crews continue to form and pour concrete for the foundations of Floral Park Station’s new elevators
- Steel erection for the elevators is expected to be ongoing throughout the month
- In the coming weeks, pile driving activity necessary for the support of the elevators is expected to occur. This is a limited activity, expected to last no longer than one (1) week
- As a result, there will be increased noise and vibration during this project activity.
- In adherence to our commitment to minimize disruption to the community, noise, dust, and vibration monitoring devices are deployed
- Elevators will be ADA-compliant and will provide easier access to the platforms on both sides of the station
Linden Avenue Pedestrian Underpass
- Construction on the Linden Avenue Pedestrian Underpass is on target to be complete by April 15
- Finishing work on the tunnel includes minor cement fillings and interior paint
- Concurrently, crews are rapidly restoring the western-most ballfield (The Pit) and the Village of Floral Park DPW yard
- From Plainfield Avenue to Lewis Avenue on the north side of the tracks, crews continue to install retaining and sound attenuation walls along the right-of-way. Wall installation is progressing through the month
Permanent Utility Pole Installation
- As part of the overall project, continued utility pole relocation work is taking place in several communities over the coming months.
- Beginning this month, crews from EJ Electric will work overnight setting permanent wooden utility poles along the north side of the railroad right-of-way from Plainfield Avenue to Covert Avenue.
- Once the poles are installed, crews will be able to safely relocate cables from temporary poles to the permanent poles.
- Heavy construction equipment including vacuum trucks, cranes, bucket trucks, and more, are needed for this work.
- 3TC is contractually committed to performing ongoing environmental monitoring including air quality, vibration levels, and noise levels.
- This marks the final piece of utility work that began more than a year ago with the removal of the original poles, followed by the placement of temporary poles outside the railroad right-of-way. The new permanent poles will be mostly contained behind walls, and once completed, will offer a less intrusive and far more efficient layout of these public utilities.
Work along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition and complementary to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way. These activities may include:
- Regular track inspection and maintenance; Rail tie replacement; Grade crossing elimination preparatory work
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit MTA.info/LIRR