Significant progress has been made on the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most noteworthy transportation projects. While the duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction, the 3rd Track Constructors team is phasing elements to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of February, you will see crews performing the following construction activities in New Cassel:
School Street Grade Crossing Elimination Project
- Preparatory work required for the School Street Grade Crossing Elimination Project, one of eight at-grade crossings to be eliminated as part of the Project, has begun
- Construction teams from 3TC, National Grid, PSEG Long Island, Verizon, Altice, and Light Tower (or their respective contractors) will relocate the above and below ground utilities
- This month, utility relocation on the north side of the tracks, along School Street, is expected to begin
- Most work will occur over night however, there may be intermittent lane closures during day shift hours.
- If necessary, the construction team will provide cones, flagmen, and signage to minimize disruption to the community
- Along the right-of-way, on the south side of the tracks, from Grand Boulevard to the Wantagh State Parkway, wall construction is complete
- On the north side of the tracks, from Grand Boulevard to Urban Avenue, sound wall installation is nearing completion.
- Along Broadway, from Urban Avenue to Wantagh State Parkway, support of excavation is being installed along the right-of-way to prep for wall installation.
- In adherence to our commitment to minimize disruption to the community, noise, dust, and vibration monitoring devices are deployed
LIRR Work along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition and complementary to 3TC’s activities, you may see or hear LIRR forces working along the railroad right-of-way. These activities may include:
- Regular track inspection and maintenance; Rail tie replacement; Grade crossing elimination preparatory work
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- For more information, visit the post in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com
For up-to-date service changes and/or changes to station access, please visit MTA.info/LIRR