Train service affected on all branches
The LIRR Expansion Project Team is gearing up for another productive year. On five successive Saturdays – January 4, 11, 18 and February 1 and 8 – LIRR and 3TC teams will be installing new switches at Nassau Interlocking. Temporary track outages are needed to complete this crucial project element, which will improve reliability along the corridor. During these weekends, LIRR service will be suspended between New Hyde Park and Hicksville, thereby affecting service on multiple LIRR branches. There will be no train service at the New Hyde Park, Merillon Avenue, Mineola, Carle Place and Westbury stations.
Service on all branches will be affected. Please visit here for a summary of the weekend service changes, including Saturday timetables for each affected branch.
These operations, which will occur during daytime and overnight hours, will result in an increase in the number of personnel and equipment along the right-of-way as well as the need for bright lights to be utilized to ensure everyone’s safety. Some of the work will also require the support of idling diesel work trains.
For LIRR customers, the MTA has provided the following tips to aid travel during this work:
- Pick up special Saturday timetables dated January 4, 11, 18 and February 1, 8, 2020, available soon at stations and terminals and online at mta.info/lirr.
- Allow up to 60 minutes of additional travel time.
- Consider taking the Babylon, Hempstead, Montauk or Port Washington branches to minimize delays and transfers. Hempstead Branch service will be increased from hourly to half-hourly on Saturdays.
- Buy LIRR tickets in advance. Customers using MTA eTix should download the app and complete their purchase prior to their trip, and then activate their tickets just before boarding the train.
- Look for LIRR personnel at key locations and/or listen for announcements regarding track and platform assignments.
- Sign up for E-Alerts at mymtaalerts.com
- Check mta.info/lirr for real-time service status information and/or call the LIRR’s Customer Service Center at 511 or 718-217-LIRR (718-217-5477).
- Download the MYmta and Train Time apps.
- Use the mobile-friendly Train Finder tool mylirr.org to follow the progress of your train.
- Monitor radio and TV traffic reports for updates.
We understand this transformative project has an impact on local residents. Thank you for your patience as we complete these critical improvements to the rail system progress.
For any questions or comments about the Project, please don’t hesitate to contact us through the project’s 24-hour Hotline at 516.203.4955 or email us at CommunityOutreach@LIRRexpansion.com. To make sure that you receive the latest LIRR Expansion Project updates right to your inbox, please register here.