The LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most significant transportation infrastructure projects, is now underway throughout the communities along a nearly ten mile stretch of mainline track.
The duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction. The project elements are phased to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of April, you will see crews performing work in Mineola, including surveys, testing, ongoing rodent control, and monitoring construction activities for noise, dust, and vibration. Specifically, crews are working on the future Harrison Avenue Garage, which, when complete, will provide 552 parking spaces. By way of explanation:
Harrison Avenue Parking Structure
- The parking lot, located between Harrison Avenue and 1st Street, is closed
- In cooperation with Village officials, alternate locations for commuter parking are provided
- Work will intensify in the area as crews beginning substantial work on the future garage. Crews will work Monday through Saturday, from approximately 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. No night work is anticipated
- To prepare for the foundation of the structure crews will excavate the area and pour concrete to form the foundation of the garage
- Temporary traffic control is installed at the work site to minimize interruptions
LIRR Work along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, LIRR forces will be working along the railroad right-of-way
- To avoid LIRR service interruptions during peak commuting hours, LIRR work along the railroad right-of-way may take place overnight and on weekends
- These activities are ongoing across the Main Line corridor, and may include: regular track inspection & maintenance, rail tie replacement, and grade crossing elimination
- For more information, visit this link in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com