The LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most significant transportation infrastructure projects, is now underway throughout the communities along a nearly ten mile stretch of mainline track.
The duration and intensity of work depends on the project element under construction. The project elements are phased to reduce the amount of disruption in any given community at any given time.
During the month of March, you will see construction crews performing work in New Cassel, including surveying, testing, ongoing rodent control, and monitoring construction activities for noise, dust, and vibration. By way of explanation:
Urban Avenue Grade Crossing Elimination Project
- Early construction work to accommodate the future under grade crossing has begun along the west side of Urban Avenue, south of the railroad tracks; and the east side of Urban Avenue, north of the railroad tracks. The work will include:
- The installation of traffic control devices, including barrels, barriers, and cones
- To form a wall for earth support during excavation, sections of sheet piles, recycled steel with interlocking edges, will be installed in sequence
- Vibratory hammers will be utilized to install the sheet piles
- In adherence to our commitment to minimize disruption to the community, vibration monitoring devices will be deployed
- To accommodate construction, Urban Avenue will be closed from Broadway to Main Street beginning March 8th
- The closure is expected to last the full 6 months of the elimination project
- After extensive traffic impact studies and with input from local officials, a detour plan was designed to navigate around the closure as easy as possible. Click here to see the detour map.
- A free pedestrian shuttle service will be provided from the corner of Broadway and Urban Avenue (north of the tracks) to Main Street and Urban Avenue (south of the tracks). The shuttle will run 7 days a week, every half hour from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Urban Avenue to School Street Retaining Wall Construction
- Excavation along the south side of the railroad right-of-way to prepare for the installation of a retaining wall
- Soldier piles will be driven into the ground at regular intervals to form a wall for earth support
- Installed by vibratory hammers, soldier piles provide the support necessary for the construction of the retaining wall
LIRR Work along the Railroad Right-of-Way
- In addition to 3TC’s activities, LIRR forces will be working along the railroad right-of-way
- These activities are ongoing across the Main Line corridor, and may include: regular track inspection & maintenance, rail tie replacement, and grade crossing elimination
- For more information, visit this link in the Community News section of LIRRExpansion.com