One of the major elements of the LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville is the elimination of eight street-level railroad crossings. These eight crossings currently pose safety risks for drivers, pedestrians, and LIRR customers; cause substantial traffic delays, especially during rush hours; and generate noise from bells and train horns at all hours.
Once the grade crossings are eliminated, there will be substantial safety and noise benefits for local communities.
3TC has a unique approach to eliminating these crossings:
1. Drill in soldier piles to retain/shore up walls
2. Excavate earth to define roadway
3. Build new abutments and bridge on either north or south side, or in some cases both (depending on specific grade crossing)
4. Close the rail, dig out from under tracks, and shift bridge into place
5. Construct elevated sidewalk, pave, and landscape area
To see how this work will look in your community, check out the short clip below: