The LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most significant transportation infrastructure projects, is now underway throughout the communities along a nearly ten mile stretch of mainline track.
During the month of December, you will see crews continuing heavy construction activities in Floral Park. By way of explanation:
South Tyson Viaduct Expansion
- Construction crews are working on the west side of South Tyson Avenue and in the parking area under the viaduct
- 18 “interior” parking spaces under the viaduct and four parking spaces on the west side of Tyson Avenue will be closed
- Temporary alternate parking, with lighting, will be available at 50 Carnation Avenue, with entrance off of Lily Street
- Pedestrian access will be closed on the west side of South Tyson Avenue under the viaduct. Pedestrians will be directed to the east side sidewalk, which will remain open
- The construction team will provide cones, flagmen and signage at the work site to minimize interruptions and to direct pedestrian and vehicular traffic
- South Tyson Avenue and Atlantic Avenue street-side “exterior” parking under the viaduct will remain, as will parking on the east side of South Tyson Avenue
Utility Pole Relocation
- Along the right-of-way, contractor crews will install temporary utility poles from Plainfield Ave. to Covert Ave.