New Hyde Park:
The LIRR Expansion Project from Floral Park to Hicksville, one of the region’s most significant transportation infrastructure projects, is now underway throughout the communities along a nearly ten mile stretch of mainline track.
While major construction may not begin until this autumn, 3rd Track Constructors (3TC) and their contractors have begun pre-construction work along the route of the project. Pre-construction work may include clearing overgrown vegetation; installing construction access gates; surveying adjacent areas, specifically in-and-around rail road crossings; testing and analyzing the soil; inspecting structures in-and-around future worksites; among other tasks.
During the month of June, you will see construction crews in New Hyde Park performing a variety of pre-construction tasks. Specifically, there will be crews taking geographic surveys of the roads around and near the rail road and crews conducting pre-construction inspections of the existing conditions of structures surrounding worksites. By way of explanation:
Existing Roadway Surveys
- A specially equipped van is driven to specific points to video and photograph the condition of the existing roadways, prior to construction beginning
- The survey is conducted to ensure the roadways are protected in the unlikely event of any damage
Existing Structure Surveys
- Property located within a specified radius of anticipated construction work requires a pre-construction photo inspection
- The survey is conducted to ensure the property is protected in the unlikely event of any damage
- Vibranalysis Inc., an independent consulting firm, will perform the survey
- Inspection consists of photographs and written documentation, recording the existing conditions of the interiors and exteriors of the structures surrounding the site